Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Review Forum?
So I had a thought about it : could we have a review forum? For everything? Or should I post all mine in the appropriate sub-forums and forums for them? I especially love reviewing stuff I had bought, dining experiences and etc. What do you think everyone?
[Image: naiwen_Ariel_sig.png]
My Awards
x1
My Items
Interesting idea. For now, I think it's fine to just post the reviews in the appropriate forums or sub-forums, but if we get a lot of reviews, then I guess it's something we could consider :) .
[Image: dbEb7eE.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)

Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x3 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
It is a good idea (I think), however, this may be better suited in a sub-forum rather than having it's own section entirely.  It depends on how many people would be interested in "reviewing" things that they buy and posting about them.
[Image: v1-bla10.png]
My Awards
My Items
Quite a lot of people seem to have reviewed something at some point. Some have reviewed restaurants, some have reviewed movies, and some have reviewed games. So, I don't think inactivity would be an issue. 

I think the problem with a 'Reviews' forum is, it doesn't fit into the existing forum layout. We organise our threads by subject (e.g. science, history, gaming), rather than by type of thread (e.g. review, poll, debate). If we start incorporating forums based around the latter, then we'll just end up with a mess unless we radically overhaul the entire board layout - and I have no plans to do that.

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

My Awards
x1 x3 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
Hmm.
What if they go as a subsection of community showcase.
That'd work, wouldn't it?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
[-] The following 2 users Like Gaomon274's post:
  • BrynStevens , ObsessedwithBirds
(08-10-2018, 07:08 AM)Kyng Wrote: If we start incorporating forums based around the latter, then we'll just end up with a mess unless we radically overhaul the entire board layout - and I have no plans to do that.

Perhaps for now we should just allow one mega thread for reviews in  the Community Showcase. I think that would be a better idea than sprinkling them all over the forums. I also agree that one separate forum or sub forum would be too messy. :P
[Image: SimbasMate.gif]

[Image: qPGsLCZ.png]

Persian avatar and userbar made by ObsessedwithBirds!

""Let's just say she's a "useful idiot" when it comes to naming my characters." -CJ
My Awards
x1 x1 (2014) x1 (2015) x1 x1
My Items
Col. Marcus Chester Glitter Jimmy Fear Crowley
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nilla's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
Yeah, if we were to set up something like this, then "Community Showcase" would be the best place to do it :) .

The thing is, that section is pretty crowded: it has four sub-forums already, so I'd be reluctant to add another one. Going with a megathread instead would solve this; however, it'd still get crowded out by all the other stuff in that section, and I wouldn't expect a new member to know that the megathread exists. Either way, adding reviews to the Community Showcase probably means we should move something else out of it (for example, we could move either the shops or the advertising somewhere else?)

However, I still think that either solution would make the layout more confusing than what we have now. If someone signs up and posts a game review in General Gaming, then I'm going to have the awkward task of explaining to them that "Game reviews don't belong in Gaming". If we had a Reviews sub-forum, then I'd have to move the thread there - or, if we had a megathread, then I'd probably have to lock their review thread and point them to the megathread so that they could re-post it there (or merge the threads and PM them so they don't wonder where their review's gone). Either way, it's a clunky and user-unfriendly setup IMO. 

Of course, you could argue that splitting a bunch of similar threads across multiple forums (when they could be grouped together) isn't entirely user-friendly. This is a fair point; however, if it's a problem, then it's a problem that we're always going to have, no matter what layout we adopt. If we set up a 'Reviews' forum, then we'd be putting all the reviews in one place; however, the threads about movies would no longer be in one place: we'd put the movie reviews in 'Reviews', while all the other movie threads stay in 'TV and Movies'. So, setting up a 'Reviews' forum doesn't truly solve this problem; it merely transfers it from "reviews" to "threads about movies" (and "threads about food and drink", since those reviews would be moved too).

So, yeah. There's no such thing as a 'perfect' board layout, and designing an effective layout is all about making trade-offs. In this case, I can see the appeal of having all the reviews in one place; however, I think splitting them across multiple forums is a necessary trade-off for the sake of having all the threads about a particular subject being grouped together (for example, having all the TV and movie threads in "TV and Movies"). 

Thanks for the feedback, though :) !

My Awards
x1 x3 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Gaomon274, Nilla