Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extrasolar planets
Continued from the old forum.

Fomalhaut b: 
[Image: 600px-Fomalhaut_with_Disk_Ring_and_extra...anet_b.jpg]
It's resemblance to the Eye of Sauron is quite creepy. 

Gliese 581c:
[Image: Gliese_581_c.jpg]
One of the most Earth-like planet yet.

TReS-4b
[Image: TrES-4.jpg]
The largest exoplanet yet.
Obsessedwithbirds iNaturalist | Archive of Our Own: Ospreyeagle | All Birds Wiki | Taxonomy in Flux | Instagram [Image: Staraptor90.gif]
New lyrics for Elton John, by my birds: ;   ] cz h1yyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyss ki[,  /’  dh u1d      
[Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
[Image: ospsig.png]
Thank you @ Nilla <3
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
[-] The following 1 user Likes ObsessedwithBirds's post:
  • Kyng
Nice pics :D

What amazes me most is the rate at which we've been discovering these things. When I was a child learning about astronomy for the first time, there were a total of eight known extrasolar planets. Now, there are over 3,000 of them :O !
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
(08-11-2018, 12:41 PM)Kyng Wrote: Nice pics :D

What amazes me most is the rate at which we've been discovering these things. When I was a child learning about astronomy for the first time, there were a total of eight known extrasolar planets. Now, there are over 3,000 of them :O !
Amazing how we can make discoveries like this! 

In fact, there are almost FOUR THOUSAND of them!
Quote:As of 1 September 2018, there are 3,823 confirmed planets in 2,860 systems, with 632 systems having more than one planet.
Source: http://exoplanet.eu/catalog.php
Obsessedwithbirds iNaturalist | Archive of Our Own: Ospreyeagle | All Birds Wiki | Taxonomy in Flux | Instagram [Image: Staraptor90.gif]
New lyrics for Elton John, by my birds: ;   ] cz h1yyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyss ki[,  /’  dh u1d      
Thank you @ Nilla <3
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
I got excited about Gliese 581c, so I had a look-see to find it's just outside it's local Goldilocks zone. :(

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
(09-14-2018, 04:11 PM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote: I got excited about Gliese 581c, so I had a look-see to find it's just outside it's local Goldilocks zone. :(

I don't think that's a death knell for the hopes of life on that planet, though. After all, Europa and Enceladus are both well outside the Sun's Goldilocks zone, and yet, they're prime locations in the search for life (due to the oceans which are believed to exist underneath their icy surfaces). 

Although, in the case of Gliese 581c, it's tidally locked (so, one side is constantly facing its sun, while the other side is always facing away and in constant darkness). This means that any life would likely be found either underneath the 'dark' half of the planet, or in the narrow band where the 'light' and 'dark' halves meet (also known as the planet's "Terminator Zone"). 

But, even if Gliese 581c doesn't harbour life, it's not the only planet in that system :P . Gliese 581d and Gliese 581g are both inside the Goldilocks zone (although, the existence of the latter planet is currently unconfirmed).

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • MegaphoneStallone , ObsessedwithBirds
(09-14-2018, 04:51 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 04:11 PM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote: I got excited about Gliese 581c, so I had a look-see to find it's just outside it's local Goldilocks zone. :(

I don't think that's adeath knell for the hopes of life on that planet, though. After all, Europa and Enceladus are both well outside the Sun's Goldilocks zone, and yet, they're prime locations in the search for life (due to the oceans which are believed to exist underneath their icy surfaces). 

Although, in the case of Gliese 581c, it's tidally locked (so, one side is constantly facing its sun, while the other side is always facing away and in constant darkness). This means that any life would likely be found either underneath the 'dark' half of the planet, or in the narrow band where the 'light' and 'dark' halves meet (also known as the planet's "Terminator Zone"). 

But, even if Gliese 581c doesn't harbour life, it's not the only planet in that system :P . Gliese 581d and Gliese 581g are both inside the Goldilocks zone (although, the existence of the latter planet is currently unconfirmed).  

I actually came across some stuff on Gliese 581g when I was Googling Gliese 581c and started reading it and then was all "Hey, wait a minute..." :P
I'm the first to admit I don't know much about Astronomy, despite how interesting my inferior brain finds it. :facepalm:

Which leads me to my stupid question of the thread. With all you've said in mind, does the concept of the Goldilocks zone apply to life we're used to on Earth strictly then, as opposed to the crazy forms that may exist that we just can't even comprehend at that point (this not ruling out the possibility of Europa and Enceladus, the latter I wasn't aware of, being home to some form/s of life?)

(side note; my post about Gliese 581c was primarily referring to the fact humanity here sucks and I want to migrate somewhere else. :P )

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • Kyng, ObsessedwithBirds
Yeah, Goldilocks zones shouldn't be thought of as an "all-or-nothing" thing. It's just that life as we know it would have the best chance of surviving there (because that's where liquid water can exist on the surface) - so, we'd be best off concentrating the majority of our efforts there. 

(Although, as you rightly point out, any extra-terrestrial life which does exist may very well not resemble "life as we know it"!)

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • MegaphoneStallone , ObsessedwithBirds
Who's to say that it could be a different type of life? Maybe life that's silicon- or oxygen-based? What if this type of life could live on Gliese 581c, outside of that that "Goldilocks zone" on the planet? :thinking:
Thank you @ Nilla <3
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes ObsessedwithBirds's post:
  • Kyng
Quite possibly. Like I said, there's no reason why life can't exist outside the Goldilocks zone: we just think that's the most likely place to find it :P

Anyway, here's a fun one. The planet Vulcan from Star Trek has been discovered: 

https://www.space.com/41862-planet-vulca...overy.html

Well, kind of. The reality is, in that series, the planet Vulcan orbited the star 40 Eridani A - and now, a planet has been discovered orbiting that star. Doesn't mean that planet is inhabited by a logic-loving alien species with pointy ears :lol: !

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
And another one. The TESS telescope, launched in April this year, has already found its new exoplanet: 

https://www.iflscience.com/space/nasas-l...new-world/

It's expected to be the first of thousands!

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items