Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Operation Sea Lion
(11-24-2018, 02:47 PM)Kyng Wrote: Yeah, they'd probably devote more resources to that than they did in OTL, but they'd surely still have some forces defending their western border. Especially considering they haven't taken any of the losses from their OTL World War II participation, they'll have easily have a big enough military to keep their European border secure, and still have plenty left over to help China. 

Presumably, there would be no nuclear attacks on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, so we'd get a massive Sino-Soviet invasion of Japan. How does that go, and what becomes of Japan afterwards?
Given the mass casualties the Chinese already took, an invasion might not be worth it.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
Well, even if they decide an invasion isn't worth it, they're probably going to want to do something about Japan, instead of just sitting there and letting them expand across the Pacific. There aren't any nukes yet, so perhaps a massive conventional bombing campaign? 

(Of course, getting Japan to actually surrender would be pretty slow, so it's possible that Japan survives long enough to attack Pearl Harbor and drag the USA in. At that point, of course, Japan would be completely screwed.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
When Japan surrenders, hopefully this time they actually reconcile with China and Korea and atone for their war crimes. Sooner or later, Imperial Japan would have clashed with the US and lost.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
I'd hope so - although, I expect Japan would take some very crippling reparations as a result. Certainly, I can't see Japan becoming an economic powerhouse in the second half of the 20th century. 

So, now for some more questions: 

1) If Japan doesn't become a great economic power, who does? (Who do Americans buy all their cars and electronics from :P ?)
2) What form of government does Japan have? Is there some kind of far-left or far-right revolution there, for example? 
3) Does Korea stay united in this timeline? (If so, I assume they would be communist and pro-Chinese: a bit like an expanded North Korea, although, hopefully, nobody would be starving, and civil liberties would be at least a little better)

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

My Awards
My Items
(02-02-2019, 10:10 PM)Kyng Wrote: I'd hope so - although, I expect Japan would take some very crippling reparations as a result. Certainly, I can't see Japan becoming an economic powerhouse in the second half of the 20th century. 

1) If Japan doesn't become a great economic power, who does? (Who do Americans buy all their cars and electronics from :P ?)

To be fair Japan and "quality electronics" is a fairly relative recent thing, Before the late 80s/90s they were viewed with what the US thinks of most things labeled with "Made in China" cheap disposable crap. Also from what I recall between Japan and China there was a small period of "Made in Taiwan"
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)
My Awards
x1
My Items
(02-02-2019, 10:14 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 10:10 PM)Kyng Wrote: I'd hope so - although, I expect Japan would take some very crippling reparations as a result. Certainly, I can't see Japan becoming an economic powerhouse in the second half of the 20th century. 

To be fair Japan and "quality electronics" is a fairly relative recent thing, Before the late 80s/90s they were viewed with what the US thinks of most things labeled with "Made in China" cheap disposable crap. Also from what I recall between Japan and China there was a small period of "Made in Taiwan" 

True. Whichever nation takes this role is doubtless going to go through a "disposable crap" phase of its own before starting to produce quality products :P

Taiwan is certainly a candidate, assuming that it's history follows the same path as it did in OTL. Or, if Japan has a civil war that leads to it becoming communist, perhaps China and the USSR are too busy there to support the North Vietnamese army in the Vietnam War? So, South Vietnam either takes over the whole of Vietnam, or at least survives and maintains control over the southern part of the country. Then, I can see South Vietnam becoming another Asian 'tiger' economy (not necessarily on par with OTL Japan, but perhaps on par with OTL South Korea)

My Awards
My Items