Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Finnish beach covered in 'ice eggs'
Finland https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50338447 Finland

[Image: Sdtduo9.jpg]
(Source: Risso Mattila / Above article)

Thousands of egg-shaped balls of ice have covered a beach in Finland, the result of a rare weather phenomenon.

Amateur photographer Risto Mattila was among those who came across the "ice eggs" on Hailuoto Island in the Gulf of Bothnia between Finland and Sweden.

Experts say it is caused by a rare process in which small pieces of ice are rolled over by wind and water.

Mr Mattila, from the nearby city of Oulu, told the BBC he had never seen anything like it before.

"I was with my wife at Marjaniemi beach. The weather was sunny, about -1C (32F) and it was quite a windy day," he told the BBC.

Interesting stuff :O . Apparently, it's happened several times before in different parts of the world (for example, here is another example from Russia in 2016), but I don't recall seeing anything like it before.

Now, someone needs to assemble them into a legion of snowmen :lol: .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
They honestly look like rocks.

But since they are eggs... let's get Kinder in on that XD
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
^that means they wouldn't be allowed in the States. :P

It'd be interesting to look at studies on these... they basically look like giant hailstones, but it would seem that they aren't based on the article.
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
probably shaped by ocean currents before being deposited on the beach still really cool.
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
It does look pretty! So interesting when things like that happen naturally.
* O P F U I T *
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia Scilla Forsythia Sundrop