Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favourite geometric shapes?
There are all kinds of geometric shapes and solids: squares, circles, triangles, stars, cubes, prisms, pyramids, and whole myriads of less familiar or crazier ones :lol: . What are some of your favourites?

I'll start out with something called the 'Reuleaux triangle'. It's basically an equilateral triangle with curved sides that bulge outwards:

[Image: yG60Gr7.png]
(Source: StackExchange)

It looks like the illegitimate child of a triangle and a circle - and, consequently, it has some of the same properties that circles do. For example, you may have heard the job interview question "Why are manhole covers round instead of square?" - and the answer to this is "Because a square manhole cover could fall into the manhole if you dropped it in diagonally - whereas you can't do this with a round manhole cover, because it's the same width in every direction". The Reuleaux triangle also has this property: its edge-to-edge distance is the same in any direction (or, to use the mathematical terminology, it is a "curve of constant width"). So, if you want to make manhole covers, and you think round ones are boring and overdone, then this shape gives you an alternative :lol: .

While we're at it, there are a couple of other applications for this shape. For example, you could make Reuleaux triangular coins: they can go into parking meters or vending machines any way up (this is why the British 20p and 50p coins have bulging edges: that shape is another example of a curve of constant width). Another thing you can do with these shapes is make make rollers out of them - or you could even make a car or a bike with Reuleaux triangluar wheels if you really wanted to (there's a video of it below - and it looks ridiculous, but it works Rofl !!!)

So, what are some of your favourite shapes?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Pyrite
My favorite shape are squares because that is also the favorite shape of Joe played by Donovan Patton on Blue's Clues.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDtxgMnjGm6vfzOKUv8pJ...1LisNaBg&s]
My Awards
My Items
My favorite shape has always been the triangle, long before I played the LoZ series even. "I just love triangles."
[Image: queen-17.png]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus