Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BTS criticised for Saudi concert
Saudi-arabia https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/o...ia-concert Saudi-arabia

A historic concert by K-pop superstars BTS has caused accusations of “whitewashing” an authoritarian regime. The Korean group were the first non-Arab artists to play a stadium in the country, with a concert at Riyadh’s King Fahd International Stadium held on Friday night as part of their Love Yourself: Speak Yourself tour.

The seven-piece is one of the world’s biggest acts, regularly topping charts globally and selling out stadiums in Asia, the US and the UK. In Riyadh they played to an audience of about 30,000 in a venue with a capacity of almost 70,000.

The group were greeted by about 100 fans at the airport as they arrived in the country. Many more flew in from Middle Eastern countries such as Kuwait and the United Arab Emirates to attend the concert.

Women have only been allowed to enter King Fahd Stadium since 2017.

Yeah... Saudi Arabia may have been moving (very slowly) in the right direction in recent years, but it remains a repressive, authoritarian regime. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable performing there, and leaving people with the impression that I supported its outdated legal system -_- .

I don't particularly care for BTS either way, but it's very easy to see why people are upset about this.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items