Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"River crossing" problems
This thread is about the 'river crossing' family of logic puzzles. Basically, you have a group of people on one side of a river, and they all need to get over to the other side, subject to certain constraints. (For example, perhaps only two people can go at once; perhaps certain people aren't allowed to be kept together; or perhaps there's a time limit for the crossing).

Here's an example of such a puzzle:

Quote:On one side of a river, there are:

• Three people: @ Nilla, @ Pyrite, and @ Jarkko.
  • A very large bottle of wine.
  • A crate filled to the brim with selfie sticks.
  • Two very thick linguistics textbooks.

There's a boat which must be used to take all three people (and all of the items) to the other side of the river. However:

• The boat can hold a maximum of two people (or one person and one item) at any time.
  • The boat can't move unless someone is in it: it's not possible to push it along with only items inside it.
  • Nilla must never be left alone with the wine.
  • Pyrite must never be left alone with the selfie sticks.
  • Jarkko must have at least one linguistics textbook with him at all times.

How do they cross the river?

Does anyone like these kinds of puzzles? And do you have any of your own to share (or, indeed, any solutions to the one I posted :P ?)
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Pyrite
Okay, here's my solution. It might be doable in less moves, but I think I've at least got it to work!

Spoiler

I like the creativity in the puzzle. Perhaps we could put more spins on this involving other TCH members? :P
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Kyng
(10-09-2019, 07:45 PM)Pyrite Wrote: Okay, here's my solution. It might be doable in less moves, but I think I've at least got it to work!

Spoiler

I like the creativity in the puzzle. Perhaps we could put more spins on this involving other TCH members? :P

Yep, I think your solution works :) ! (My intended solution was pretty much the same: I just swapped "Nilla/selfie sticks" with "Pyrite/wine" throughout :P )

I'll have to see what else I can come up with!

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
  • Pyrite
Awesome - I look forward to seeing more! :D 

I recall seeing a few of these crop up from time to time in Professor Layton games. Sure enough, a quick Google search brought this one up. Wolves and chicks is one of the more common varieties I've seen in the past - the others being wolf/sheep/cabbage and the jealous husbands.

[Image: CV007_Instructions.gif]
[Image: CV007_Puzzle_Screen.gif]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
My Items
I think I can do that :) :

Spoiler

And, yeah, I'll post another one if I can think of one :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
  • Pyrite
Okay, here's another puzzle:

• This time, we start with four humans (@ Nilla, @ Jarkko, @ Pyrite, and Justin Trudeau), plus one bird (@ Crooked Crow ).
  • After the end of the last puzzle, Nilla drunk the wine... so, she must be supervised by a human at all times, to stop her from falling out of the boat or wandering into the river.
  • Jarkko and Justin Trudeau are not allowed together without supervision from a fellow human.
  • Crow doesn't use the boat: instead, he flies and lands on someone's head, subject to the following rules:
    • Nobody may use the boat while Crow is on their head;
    • Crow is not allowed on Justin Trudeau's head.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Crow starts on Jarkko's head. Can anyone solve this?

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Crooked Crow , Nilla
Pyrite starts to steer the boat?
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
I feel like I might be missing something here, but I have what I think is a solution:

Spoiler

Quote:
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Pyrite's post:
  • Crooked Crow , Kyng
(10-15-2019, 08:26 PM)Pyrite Wrote: I feel like I might be missing something here, but I have what I think is a solution:

Spoiler

I don't think you're missing anything: I just made it easier than I intended :facepalm: !

Maybe the next one will be more challenging :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
  • Pyrite
(10-15-2019, 08:35 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 08:26 PM)Pyrite Wrote: I feel like I might be missing something here, but I have what I think is a solution:

Spoiler

I don't think you're missing anything: I just made it easier than I intended :facepalm: !

Maybe the next one will be more challenging :P .

Ah, okay. I think what the puzzle needs is some sort of caveat that stops me doing the 'team dad' job that I seem to do in this one. :P

Quote:
My Awards
My Items