Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A couple of sub-forum suggestions
Over the past few months, we've been working on simplifying our board layout, to remove some of the clutter and get rid of any forums or sub-forums which are no longer serving the purpose for which they were originally created (which, in some cases, was several years ago :P ). Since then, things have been moving in the right direction; however, I'd like to address a couple of lingering problems here. This isn't really large enough to be "Trimming the board layout a bit: Phase 3"; however, you can think of it as "Phase 2.5", if you'd like :P .

1. Change 'Living Things' to 'Plants and Animals'

The original idea behind this board was that it was supposed to cover plants, animals, and anything else that a biologist might study. I decided that 'Living Things' would work as an all-encompassing term for these organisms. The thing is, a lot of these things are no longer 'living'; for example, dinosaurs are a somewhat popular topic of discussion in this section, but there aren't any 'living' dinosaurs any more (unless your definition of 'dinosaur' includes the birds). This is an issue which pops up from time to time - most recently, in Lurker's "Dinosaur tail found in amber" thread. Since I don't see any organisational benefit to putting "Things that are currently alive" and "Things which used to be alive, but no longer are" in different sections of the board, I think the palaeontology threads should be in the same sub-forum as the ones about things that are alive today; however, the name 'Living Things' doesn't really make this clear. Instead, we could go with 'Plants and Animals', which doesn't have this problem.

I am aware that this would exclude lifeforms that aren't plants or animals (for example, bacteria). However, I took a look through this board, and I could find only three threads that weren't related to either plants or animals. I don't think we need to worry too much about excluding those threads from the sub-forum: they can just go into the main 'Science and Nature' section. It's a small price to pay for a more intuitive, less ambiguous name.

2. Introduce a 'What If' thread prefix, and get rid of the 'Historical What-Ifs' sub-forum

The 'Historical What-Ifs' section is really just a hangover from when we had a 'What If?' forum, but didn't have thread prefixes. Since then, of course, the what-ifs have been split up between their various subject areas; however, there's still a 'Historical What Ifs' board, since quite a lot of the what-ifs were history-related.

Now that we do have thread prefixes, I think one way to use these would be to mark out the topics that concern hypothetical 'what-if' discussions, which I consider to be somewhat 'off-beat' compared to the main forum content. This new thread prefix would be available in all of the forums under 'Topical Discussions' and 'Recreation and Media' - and, since it'd make the 'Historical What-ifs' sub-forum redundant, I would remove that and just apply this thread prefix to all of its threads.

So, should I go ahead with these?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
But your adding more sub-forums & I thought you were trying to not have so many? Why not just prefix stuff that doesn't fit? Or would that become to much of a mess? (Just thinking here.)
[Image: queenzelda.gif]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
I like the first suggestion, but have my reservations about the second one... the historical "what ifs" really invite you to think up lots of crazy scenarios by virtue of existing and being clearly visible in the main board, something that would be lost on prefix flavor.

Just my two pennies.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
(09-25-2019, 06:39 PM)queenzelda Wrote: But your adding more sub-forums & I thought you were trying to not have so many? Why not just prefix stuff that doesn't fit? Or would that become to much of a mess? (Just thinking here.)
I'm not adding any new ones here :P . I'm proposing changing the name of an existing one, and removing one.

(09-25-2019, 06:46 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: I like the first suggestion, but have my reservations about the second one... the historical "what ifs" really invite you to think up lots of crazy scenarios by virtue of existing and being clearly visible in the main board, something that would be lost on prefix flavor.

Just my two pennies.
I see your point: a prefix isn't as visible as a sub-forum. However, I think having the prefix would help invite this in other sections that currently have nothing at all to mark their what-ifs (e.g. science, gaming, and so on). Since there aren't enough of these to justify 'What If?' sub-forums under every forum, a prefix would be the only reasonable way to do it for these. However, once we have the prefix, I think it'd be more consistent to use it for the historical ones as well, instead of the sub-forum (indeed, it's one of our smaller sub-forums, as well as one of the least active ones in recent months - so, it'd probably be on the chopping block even if it wasn't for the prefix suggestion :( )

Thanks for the feedback so far :) !

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
For the 'Plants and Animals' title suggestion, how about calling it 'Flora and Fauna ' B-)
* O P F U I T *
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia Scilla
[-] The following 2 users Like Opal Fruit's post:
  • Kyng, Moonface
(09-25-2019, 08:57 PM)Opal Fruit Wrote: For the 'Plants and Animals' title suggestion, how about calling it 'Flora and Fauna ' B-)

I like that idea! Has a nice 'nature-y' ring to it too :) .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Opal Fruit
So, for the potential 'What If?' prefix... what are people's thoughts on mint green as the icon colour?

Here it is on a couple of different themes:

[Image: 2IIe8fE.png]

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Okay, I intend to make these changes tomorrow, if everyone's okay with them :) . But, before I do, another quick thought.

I'm happy for the "Plants and Animals" (or "Flora and Fauna") section to exclude bacteria: as far as I'm concerned, they're completely different from plants and animals, to a greater degree than plants and animals differ from each other. However... I don't think it would make sense to exclude fungi from this section. I've always thought of fungi as being 'in between' plants and animals: they have some plant-like characteristics, and some animal-like characteristics. Therefore, if someone started a thread about mushrooms in the 'Plants and Animals' section, I'd feel very silly moving it out because "they are neither plants nor animals".

Fortunately, this could be fixed quite easily by expanding "Flora and Fauna" to "Flora, Fauna and Fungi". Wouldn't disrupt the alliterative thing, or even the five-letter thing :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I like the alliteration there. Both changes make a lot of sense to me. Which is strange, cause usually I have something to disagree with. :P
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Kyng
OK, I've implemented both of these suggestions now.

Thanks for the feedback, guys :) !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items