Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[OLD NEWS] Wolves thriving in Chernobyl
Ukraine https://www.livescience.com/62964-cherno...ading.html  Wolfie

Gray wolves from the radioactive forbidden zone around the nuclear disaster site of Chernobyl are now roaming out into the rest of the world, raising the possibility they'll spread mutant genes that they may carry far and wide, a new study finds.

The wolves are prospering not due to any mutant superpower, but because the radioactive zone now acts like a wildlife preserve, researchers added.

In 1986, explosions destroyed a reactor at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine, releasing about 400 times more radioactive fallout than the atomic bomb dropped on Hiroshima, according to the International Atomic Energy Agency. 

Afterward, it was unclear how contaminated Chernobyl's surroundings were, so the authorities declared an arbitrary 18.6-mile (30 kilometers) diameter around the reactor off-limits. People are still prohibited from living in this "exclusion zone," although it is now open to tourism. 

Well, the wolves seem healthy enough - so, hopefully, any mutant genes that do get out won't pose too much of a health risk! 

Still, it's awesome to see just how well wildlife is doing in an area that I had assumed would be inhospitable.
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
It's interesting to know the wolves are able to live and spend time in that toxic environment. Much like how we would all agree, it wouldn't be safe still to live there because of the risks of cancer and mutations. Nevertheless, it's great news to know that the area is becoming less and less dangerous. I'm not sure when it would become completely safe though but visits for small amounts of time would not do damage.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach
That's so cool, I've known about this for a while. Still amazing. I hope to go there someday and see them. :O
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
[Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
Obsessedwithbirds [Image: 30?cb=20190128205323]
Lurker Wrote:You enforce it by constipating the phone
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
This is very interesting, I didn't think any animal could survive in that environment. :O
[Image: UlpiYU4.png?1]
My Awards
My Items
(07-04-2018, 02:43 AM)ObsessedwithBirds Wrote: That's so cool, I've known about this for a while. Still amazing. I hope to go there someday and see them. :O

Yeah, I've definitely heard this before as well.
I also remember, I think it as on a Stuff You Should Know (podcast) episode there's a few stubborn old people in the zone who have just refused to leave... :headbrick:

As for the mutant genes, do we know for a fact they'll be a bad thing? Maybe they'll be an enhancement. 8D

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
Now, another study has been carried out in the Chernobyl area, this time by a team from the University of Georgia:  

https://cosmosmagazine.com/biology/furth...-chernobyl

This time, they distributed fish carcasses around the place - and, within a week, 98% of them had been eaten by the local wildlife. They also spotted species that hadn't been seen in previous studies of the place; for example, white-tailed eagles and Eurasian otters. 

I guess they must be thriving due to the lack of human activity - which must outweigh any negative impact from the radiation!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
Thing is over time radioactive material decays, and for the most part they removed a lot of the radioactive soil and vehicles. only going to certain areas especially close to the reactor is the real threat. though with the new covering it should be enough to keep the surrounding area safe. needless to say animals are more attuned to their surroundings and thus they would know if they are truly in any real danger. 

So overall the radiation levels must have dropped enough that its livable for the most part. nature adapts and overcomes.
[Image: 4ec9ce99-7e23-4885-9086-b80b8dc6247f.png]
[Image: 50cd8dba-af3c-43b3-be34-aa0a9c7ce5ad.png]
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
It is proof that animals don't need us, this is amazing and one of my favourite success stories I've ever read.
"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best."
[Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
Obsessedwithbirds [Image: 30?cb=20190128205323]
Lurker Wrote:You enforce it by constipating the phone
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
[-] The following 1 user Likes ObsessedwithBirds's post:
  • Kyng
(02-05-2019, 05:39 AM)GrieferLord Wrote: Thing is over time radioactive material decays, and for the most part they removed a lot of the radioactive soil and vehicles. only going to certain areas especially close to the reactor is the real threat. though with the new covering it should be enough to keep the surrounding area safe. needless to say animals are more attuned to their surroundings and thus they would know if they are truly in any real danger. 

So overall the radiation levels must have dropped enough that its livable for the most part. nature adapts and overcomes.

Yeah, it's livable. Much higher than normal, still, but if you know what you're doing then it's perfectly possible to live in there (after all, some people do :P )

Of course, there are pieces of apparatus that were used in the cleanup, that are waaaaaaaay too contaminated to touch safely, but I guess the animals never have any reason to touch those!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
My Items