Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clarifying the Face-Off Arena
I rather like the Face-Off Arena :) . It's a bit quirky and off the beaten track, but topics that are started correctly can still lead to some good discussions.

Unfortunately, at the moment, the Face-Off Arena as a whole is suffering from a lack of clarity surrounding the conditions under which these hypothetical battles take place. There's no agreed-upon definition of the arena itself (e.g. the terrain on which the battle takes place, the size of the arena, and how far apart the combatants start). This is kind of important, especially if the battle pits a strong melee fighter against a strong ranged fighter (e.g. Longswordsman vs Crossbowman): it makes a massive difference whether they start 5 metres apart or 500 metres apart. Without this information, the question of "Who would win?" becomes impossible to answer - and, worse, the thread can devolve into an argument over what the rules should be, rather than who would win based on some specified set of rules :( .

Fortunately, I have a proposed solution to this - and it's called the Standard Battle Arena:

[Image: p5CKq5l.png]

I hope it's fairly self-explanatory, but I'll go through the details:

• The arena consists of a circular grass field, with a 1km radius. (If the fight is between two aquatic creatures, then the grass is replaced with water)

• The two combatants start in the middle of the arena, 100 metres apart.

• Around the edge of the arena is a force field, which is a sphere with a 1km radius. This force field serves two purposes: a) it prevents either combatant from leaving the arena, and b) it prevents either combatant from calling on any outside help (for example if Harry Potter tries to summon some help by casting "Accio Dumbledore!", then Dumbledore will be stuck behind the force field and unable to help him).

• We could also say that the force field interferes with any "game-breaking" powers, such as time travel (which would allow one combatant to go back in time and kill the other as a defenceless baby), and any kind of immortality (for example, Voldemort's Horcruxes are unable to protect him from outside the force field).

This setup isn't intended to constrain people: it's designed to be flexible and customisable. For example, you may want to start a battle where the grass is replaced with forest; or one where the radius of the field is 10km instead of 1km; or one where the combatants start 10m apart instead of 100m apart; or you may want to dispense with the force field. These are all things that you're allowed to do if you want - in which case, you should specify any alterations to the arena in the opening post of your thread. However, if the opening post does not specify otherwise, then the battle will be assumed to be taking place on a Standard Battle Arena.

So, does this sound fair, or does anyone have anything they'd like to add or change?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 3 users Like Kyng's post:
  • JHG , Pyrite, Shiny Star
I really like this. It's not only a super helpful arena for us to base fighting match-ups on, but it's also a good framework to tailor to a specific battle.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
Yea, maybe add that the characters go in without weapons. If there's no summoning of help, or "game breaking" such as overpowered movesets then I'd say not allowing either side acess to their weapons would be a good way to make the playing feild more even.

My question is what about OPed opponents such as Goku or Superman? There's no way there would be a fair match of either since they're both so over powered, it sort of seems unfair pitting them against characters that wouldn't realitically be able to win. And, is this battle to the death? Or until someone would be knocked out?
[Image: yamiyu10.png]

[Image: d7vij96-a63b17ec-74ef-44a5-bdfc-2e70814679ca.gif] [Image: orgxiii_roxas_stamp_by_xselfdestructive-d31xvow.gif] [Image: 9f6ed7ab86783c057973c1b2caa35f9a-d4927wj.png][Image: jam_those_tunes_by_northboundfox-d4dz2bk.png]
My Awards
x1 (2017)
My Items
1. But what’s a knight without a lance, sword and war horse? A combatant should have weapons if he/she uses them as standard equipment.
2. Probably uninhabited planet or something.
3. Either one depending on whether it’s in character to kill.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
Yeah, these are all valid points which need to be hashed out :P . My personal views on these are:

1) I think they should be permitted to have any weapons that are part of their standard equipment. As for weapons that aren't part of their standard equipment (for example, an overpowered macguffin that they only have in one episode), those shouldn't be allowed unless the OP states it.

2) Yeah, it'd be nice to have some system for matching characters up to produce fair fights. Ideally, we'd have some kind of tier list, but I don't think that'll be possible: there are simply way too many possible characters :lol: ! However, if there are any specific powers that anybody thinks are game-breaking, then I can add those to the list of banned powers (alongside time travel, immortality, and any power that involves outside help)

3) I'd say it should just be until a character is incapacitated and unable to continue. (Killing an opponent is one way to incapacitate them, but it isn't the only way)

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Pyrite
What about matches between robots? I've yet to see any topics using them or other intelligent based non human characters. So are robots, & AI ok to pit against other characters? Or not? Cause there are a ton of BBZ androids, & other robots to pit against each other, etc.
[Image: yamiyu10.png]

[Image: d7vij96-a63b17ec-74ef-44a5-bdfc-2e70814679ca.gif] [Image: orgxiii_roxas_stamp_by_xselfdestructive-d31xvow.gif] [Image: 9f6ed7ab86783c057973c1b2caa35f9a-d4927wj.png][Image: jam_those_tunes_by_northboundfox-d4dz2bk.png]
My Awards
x1 (2017)
My Items
(09-07-2019, 01:10 AM)Yami Yugi Wrote: What about matches between robots? I've yet to see any topics using them or other intelligent based non human characters. So are robots, & AI ok to pit against other characters? Or not? Cause there are a ton of BBZ androids, & other robots to pit against each other, etc.

Of course :) .

Perhaps people just haven't done it yet because they haven't had the idea :P . However, I don't see why it would create a problem (robots can't really be 'killed' as such, but they can be immobilised!)

Also, this "Standard Battle Arena" thing would only apply to physical combat between individuals or small groups. If it's on a large scale (e.g. anything between entire armies), or it isn't physical combat (e.g. it's a race or a contest of mental abilities), then the "Standard Battle Arena" thing doesn't apply to it.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Well, since some other questions have come up, I think it'd be a good idea to include the "Standard Battle Arena" thing as part of a broader "Face-off FAQ".

Here's what I have for that so far:

Quote:Welcome to the Face-off Arena! This is the place to put come up with your own fantasy battles and contests - and then ask other members who they think would win!

That's quite vague, though - so, here's a thread that's designed to add a little bit of clarity :) .

What kinds of battles take place here?

Pretty much anything! Some of the threads feature races; others involve mental contests (like creating an invention); and I'm sure you'll be able to think of any number of others. However, the vast majority of these face-offs we have now are physical combat: the competitors fight one another, using any powers and weaponry that they have at their disposal, until one competitor incapacitates all of their opponents (in such a way that they can no longer continue fighting). Typically, it will be assumed that a participant in physical combat cannot run away (more on this later on in the thread).

Since most threads are "physical combat" match-ups, we request that if your thread is not physical combat, then the opening post should say what it is instead.

Who can the competitors be?

We have a broad spectrum of competitors in the face-offs we currently have: prehistoric animals, modern animals, historical warriors, superheroes, supervillains, and even some robots :P . These are all fair game.

There's only one real restriction: if you want to use real-life humans in physical combat matches, then they must be known specifically for physical combat. For example: historical warriors, boxers, and martial artists are all fine to include, because they're known for some kind of combat prowess. However, a thread about "Would Katy Perry defeat Taylor Swift in a fist fight?" creates no opportunity for a legitimate and interesting discussion (because neither singer is known for any combat skills), and would simply serve as a stick for their respective fans and haters to beat each other with. So, don't go down that route, please.

Note that this restriction only applies to physical combat - so, something like "Mo Farah vs. Usain Bolt in an 800m running race" would be fine: that's a race, and not a physical fight.

What powers can be used?

A wide range of weapons have been used in real-world history, and a wide range of magic powers have been used in fantasy. This offers a vast array of potential battles between characters with different combinations of offensive and defensive match-ups. However, in the interests of keeping these match-ups fair and interesting, the following powers should be avoided:

• Time travel (as this would allow a character to go back in time and kill their opponent as a defenceless baby);
  • Anything that brings in any kind of outside help (more on this below);
  • If the goal is "Fight to the death", then immortal characters may not be used.

Furthermore, unless the opening post states otherwise, it will be assumed that all characters are fighting with their standard equipment, which they carry and use on a regular basis. To take an example: Harry Potter frequently uses his wand; he sometimes has a broom; and he occasionally uses Godric Gryffindor's sword. Therefore, if Harry Potter is used as a character in a match-up, then you should assume that:

• He has his wand (unless the opening post specifies that he doesn't);
  • He does NOT have his broom or Gryffindor's sword (unless the opening post specifies that he does).

Where does the battle take place?

The terrain on which a battle takes place is often key to deciding the winner: for example, cavalry will fight much better on flat land than in forest. Therefore, this needs to be defined as part of the setup for the battle.

For small-scale physical combat (e.g. battles between individual animals or warriors, or small groups), the default setup is the Standard Battle Arena. For larger-scale physical combat (e.g. battles between entire military forces, or between overpowered superheroes), the default setup is the Expanded Battle Arena:

[Image: 0j6oCTh.png]

[Image: jmlCANE.png]

They have some similarities, but they also have some important differences, so I'll go through the details:

• The standard arena consists of a circular grass field, with a 1km radius (if the fight is between two aquatic creatures, then the grass is replaced with water). The expanded arena consists of a barren planet the size of Earth.

• On the standard arena, the two combatants start in the middle of the arena, 100 metres apart. On the expanded arena, they start on the planet's surface, 100 kilometres apart.

• Both arenas are surrounded by a spherical force field. This force field serves two purposes: a) it prevents either combatant from leaving the arena, and b) it prevents either combatant from calling on any outside help (that help will be stuck behind the force field).

These setups aren't intended to constrain people: it's designed to be flexible and customisable. For example, you may want to start a battle where the arena is all forest; or enlarge the radius; or move the starting positions closer together or further away; or you may want to dispense with the force field. These are all things that you're allowed to do if you want - in which case, you should specify any alterations to the arena in the opening post of your thread.

For physical combat, if the opening post does not specify otherwise, then the battle will be assumed to be taking place on a Standard Battle Arena or an Expanded Battle Arena, depending on the scale of the combat. Extreme-scale physical combat (e.g. on the interstellar level) will not be assumed to be using a battle arena; however, it will still be assumed that there is some kind of force field surrounding the field of battle (so, no running away or outside help).

If you've got any questions, then please go ahead and ask them here. Otherwise, have fun :) !

Is there anything that I've missed, or anything I should change?

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Also, a deserted planet with breathable air is a good idea for fights with “overpowered” combatants. E.g. Starfire vs Kratos and Sailor Moon vs Wonder Woman.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes JHG 's post:
  • Kyng
(09-13-2019, 07:46 AM)JHG Wrote: Also, a deserted planet with breathable air is a good idea for fights with “overpowered” combatants. E.g. Starfire vs Kratos and Sailor Moon vs Wonder Woman.

Good point.

How about we make it a deserted planet with an Earth-sized radius, and a force field at the edge of the planet's atmosphere - and we call it an "Extended Battle Arena"?

This would work for the superheroes, and also the large-scale ones (e.g. 20,000 Jedi vs. 3,000 T. rex, or whatever the numbers were). The only battles it wouldn't work for are the interplanetary ones (e.g. Mole of moles vs. Galactic Empire), but those are so rare that they don't really need a standard arena :P )

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items