Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gaming skills applicable to real-life work?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49317440

The gaming industry is larger than films and music combined, yet few of us are likely to put our Fortnite playing achievements on our CVs. But why not? Businesses are waking up to the skills gamers can bring to the workplace.

One start-up is convinced that the skills learned playing games - hard-won through years of training and battle - can be applied to real-life work situations.

And Game Academy reckons its belief is backed up by hard data.

Do you enjoy unusual puzzle games like Portal, or tower defence games like Defense Grid? The team has found that IT workers play those more than average.

But if you prefer Civilization, Total War, or X-Com, where strategy and resource management are key, then you might have more in common with managers.

Well, I suppose it makes some sense - but, from the point of view of "It's easier to attract young applicants this way", as much as "We think their gaming skills are particularly useful" :P .

In any case, I'm not putting my gaming experience onto any CVs until it becomes commonplace to do so - if it ever does!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I have a few issues with this article.
1) it reads more like a fake "news article" that is actually an ad.
2) the most it really shows is a correlation so managers like management type games, IT workers like problem solving games, both which reflect their career paths.
3) "even the military is hiring gamers" uh... well if we take out how UAVs are basically a less abstract video game, that is again correlation, as gaming started to become mainstream in the past decade or two.

4)Maybe if you were a leader of a successful clan it would have more merit, as you are actually managing people and their conflicts.

5) The only point I can agree with is when they are talking Eve Online and how the game is set up and what it evolved in to (Spread sheet simulator)

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
Right, so I definitely think that the skills you learn while playing a game can be applicable to real-life circumstances. For example, puzzle games such as the Portal and Professor Layton series test your ability to solve problems, and to think outside the box. In the manner of many board games, strategy games such as Civilization and Age of Empires test your ability to obtain and manage your resources, in competition with other groups and factions. Even platform games such as Mario and Sonic test your dexterity and ability to react quickly to circumstances. Inherently, games simulate real-life circumstances to some extent, which means that, without thinking, you are developing skills.

That said, I don't think that video game prowess has a place on a CV, unless you're applying for a job in the eSports industry. There's a difference between developing a skill in a game and in a real-life environment. For example, just because you're good at Football Manager doesn't mean you would be able to handle the difficulties of being a real-life football coach. But I can definitely see how you could draw on your in-game experiences for problems in the real world.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
Nice try, but I’m still not going to hone my very rusty gaming skills.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
(08-30-2019, 03:40 PM)Pyrite Wrote: Right, so I definitely think that the skills you learn while playing a game can be applicable to real-life circumstances. For example, puzzle games such as the Portal and Professor Layton series test your ability to solve problems, and to think outside the box. In the manner of many board games, strategy games such as Civilization and Age of Empires test your ability to obtain and manage your resources, in competition with other groups and factions. Even platform games such as Mario and Sonic test your dexterity and ability to react quickly to circumstances. Inherently, games simulate real-life circumstances to some extent, which means that, without thinking, you are developing skills.

That said, I don't think that video game prowess has a place on a CV, unless you're applying for a job in the eSports industry. There's a difference between developing a skill in a game and in a real-life environment. For example, just because you're good at Football Manager doesn't mean you would be able to handle the difficulties of being a real-life football coach. But I can definitely see how you could draw on your in-game experiences for problems in the real world.

What are you telling me my Hours of Hearts of Iron 4 is going to waste?! I was going to run for the chancellorship of Germany! :P

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking