Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Health warnings on individual cigarettes could reduce smoking
https://www.news-medical.net/news/201908...oking.aspx

Health warnings printed on individual cigarettes could play a key role in reducing smoking, according to new research from the University of Stirling.

Experts from Stirling's Institute of Social Marketing examined smokers' perceptions of the warning 'Smoking kills' on individual cigarettes - as opposed to the message only appearing on packs.

The team, led by Dr Crawford Moodie, found that smokers felt the innovative approach has the potential to discourage smoking among young people, those starting to smoke, and non-smokers.

Participants felt that a warning on each cigarette would prolong the health message, as it would be visible when taken from a pack, lit, left in an ashtray, and with each draw, thus making avoidant behavior more difficult.

The visibility of the warning to others was perceived as off-putting for some because it was associated with a negative image. Within several female groups, the warnings were viewed as depressing, worrying and frightening; with it suggested that people would not feel good smoking cigarettes displaying a warning.

Well, I hadn't thought of this before - but I suppose it might be worth a try.

I guess anyone who isn't put off by the graphic images on cigarette packets isn't going to be put off by this - but, it might help reinforce the warnings for those who don't currently smoke, and discourage them from starting.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I think that with smoking, people don’t always see the consequences straight away so the addiction is fuelled. A lot of people probably assume that the result of lung disease or cancer won’t happen to them personally. They probably also think that it’s so far in the future that it doesn’t matter. Some people aren’t bothered by the short-term effects either. These messages are worth a shot. Although, I can imagine the ink to do this will cost more.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach
(09-03-2019, 01:16 AM)Shiny Star Wrote: Although, I can imagine the ink to do this will cost more.

Quite possibly - although, if the result of that is that the cost gets passed onto the consumer, so fewer people smoke (or people smoke fewer cigarettes), then I'd call that an added benefit :P .

Still, you'd think that if there was a way to make cigarettes healthier, the companies making them would be all over it. Even if we ignore all ethical concerns, it's not like it's in their interests to kill off their own customer base!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Yes freakin please. 
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
My activity will be sparse, so if you need me, I’ll be on my discord or on Pokémon Reborn.

[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
(09-04-2019, 09:39 AM)Kyng Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 01:16 AM)Shiny Star Wrote: Although, I can imagine the ink to do this will cost more.

Quite possibly - although, if the result of that is that the cost gets passed onto the consumer, so fewer people smoke (or people smoke fewer cigarettes), then I'd call that an added benefit :P .

Still, you'd think that if there was a way to make cigarettes healthier, the companies making them would be all over it. Even if we ignore all ethical concerns, it's not like it's in their interests to kill off their own customer base!

That was the point of having filters, but
1) At lease one brand at the start of filtered cigarettes used asbestos as the filter materials (Oooffff)
2) The filters encouraged deeper drags on the cigarettes because the smoke now felt more mild on the mouth/throat)
3) regular smokers started to smoke more to get the amount of nicotine they had with filter less

With that said, Most people today were indoctrinated about how bad smoking is for you, what the effects are, what it will do to your lungs, your mouth, your body, etc. They are well informed in what the risks are, and yet they still partook in to it.
They made an informed choice, more so then maybe any other transaction a non smoker has ever made.

I think its a waste of time, money, and political power to do this, there is much better things that could be done and effort put in to.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking