Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Studies suggest optimists live longer
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style...79206.html

Looking on the bright side of life could help you live longer, a new study suggests.

According to scientists from the Boston University School of Medicine in the US, people with greater optimism are more likely to live to the age of 85 or older.

The new study, published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, was based on 69,744 women from the Nurses’ Health Study and 1,429 men from the Veterans Affairs Normative Ageing Study.

The women were aged between 58 and 86 when they completed an optimism assessment in 2004. Their mortality status was tracked through to 2014.

The men’s age range was 41 to 90 when they completed an optimism assessment in 1986, and their mortality status was also tracked through to 2016.

Okay... so, three things to consider here:

1) The sample of women was much larger than the sample of men (women tend to live longer);
2) The women seemed to be older than the men on average (someone who's already lived to 58 will, by default, have a higher life expectancy than someone who's lived to 41, simply because the first person has survived all the risks between 41 and 58, while the second person still has all those ahead of them);
3) The sample of men is from further back in time than the sample of women (medical science has improved over the past 20 years, so you'd expect people to live longer in the more recent sample)

Hopefully, they controlled properly for all three of these factors. But, even if they did, it could simply be that the things that make people optimistic also make them live longer... after all, one does not simply choose to be an optimist!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
So.... I am left with nothing since you already listed issues.

WHAT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW?! D:

But also what if someone is the "The great thing about cynicism is that you are either proven correct, or pleasantly surprised" type of cynic? :thinking:

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lurker101 's post:
  • Kyng
(08-26-2019, 10:26 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: So.... I am left with nothing since you already listed issues.

WHAT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW?! D:

Eh, my list isn't necessarily exhaustive... it's just the things that came to mind from reading the summary. You can still do the Bonus Round :lol: .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
This sounds very sensationalist; A person's ideology does not influence long life. It's health.
My dislike of sensationalism is why I don't care for news; I prefer the intricacy and nuance of history(paleontology included.)
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
(08-26-2019, 10:36 PM)JHG Wrote: This sounds very sensationalist; A person's ideology does not influence long life. It's health.
Okay, but a lot of things influence "health" - possibly including optimism or pessimism :P .

Obviously, that doesn't mean that optimism is the most important factor (if it is a factor, then it's probably pretty far down the list TBH) - but, just because it isn't the primary factor doesn't stop it from being a secondary factor.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items