Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2016: music's best ever year?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49278814

What was the greatest year for music of all time? Many of us, when asked, would probably choose an era from our own youth.

Certain songs or albums which remind you of school, your rebellious teenage years or college and university are the ones most people would choose to return to again and again.

But not James Acaster.

In his new book, Perfect Sound Whatever, the comedian argues 2016 was the greatest ever year for music. And, to be fair, he puts forward a compelling case.

Some of the albums he highlights were both groundbreaking and hugely successful. Beyonce's Lemonade, for example, or Frank Ocean's critically-acclaimed Blonde. Kanye West and Radiohead are also namechecked, as is David Bowie's final studio album Blackstar, released days before his death.

Well, that's a bold claim, and not one that I expect many people to agree with (I don't think I do, although I'm not sure which year I would nominate instead!)

So, how would you say that 2016 compares to other recent years music-wise - and, indeed, to other years further in the past?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
2016? No way! No year of the 21st Century deserves the 'greatest year for music'.
* O P F U I T *
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia Scilla Forsythia Sundrop
(08-22-2019, 08:35 PM)Opal Fruit Wrote: No way! No year of the 21st Century deserves the 'greatest year for music'.
With OSTs, I’d beg to differ.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like JHG 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Jarkko
Best of the current era, perhaps. Although, a few exceptions aside, I'm not keen on this era's music. :P Pop or urban fans might agree with 2016. And Radiohead, as good as I think they are, cannot salvage this claim by themselves, for someone who doesn't

Not counting classical music, where there are generally larger gaps between groundbreaking works, I've heard arguments for many other years. Personally, I'm biased towards 1967 (Beatles' biggest album, Pink Floyd and Tangerine Dream debut) and 1982 (Thriller, Hall & Oates at their best), but I've heard arguments for many other years. 1991 is one I can't disagree with too much, with the rise of grunge because of Ten (Pearl Jam), Nevermind (Nirvana), Badmotorfinger (Soundgarden) and others. Radiohead began recording their debut release in '91 as well. It is also the year Metallica started going more mainstream, though, so I'm not sure what to feel about it. :lol:

It's really a subjective thing depending on what genre you follow and how big a music snob you are. I find today's mainstream music far too minimalistic. I mean, some tracks are so musically sparse that they make John Adams (an actual minimalist in classical music, who actually sounds good) look like JS Bach by comparison! :P

(08-22-2019, 08:37 PM)JHG Wrote:
(08-22-2019, 08:35 PM)Opal Fruit Wrote: No way! No year of the 21st Century deserves the 'greatest year for music'.
Actually agree with this to an extent. Certain movie and video game soundtracks from the 21st century have been phenomenal. Overall, Opal may have a point, but specifically in the area of soundtracks there are some years in the 21st century that could contend. Considering Shadow Of The ColossusMetroid PrimeMetal Gear Solid 3 and 4Super Mario Galaxy, and even Ikaruga all came out in the 2000s, it isn't much of a stretch to think that there have been certain years with bumper crops of excellent VG soundtracks. ;)
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Jarkko's post:
  • Detective Osprey, JHG
(08-22-2019, 08:37 PM)JHG Wrote:
Nanu’s, Looker’s, Colress’ and Zinnia’s themes would love to come and have a chat. :P
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
Thank you, for the memories, Alola! Nov. 2016-Nov. 2019
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
While I do like music from my youth, what I think of as "better" music are actually from the 2010~2013 era, which is after my teenage years. Indeed, most songs from my playlist fall into that time range or later.
[Image: 16235347681_8cae594d7e_o.jpg] Soundcloud Profile: Ascension Drive
My Awards
My Items
I just like music from OSTs.
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes JHG 's post:
  • Detective Osprey
Nothing wrong with that. OSTs are good. Well, for the most part. There are always going to be a few groaners here and there. :P
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
(08-31-2019, 05:26 AM)Jarkko Wrote: Nothing wrong with that. OSTs are good. Well, for the most part. There are always going to be a few groaners here and there. :P
I know; I ONLY listen to the ones I like. It seems self centered but it’s my honest choice.
My Awards
My Items
(08-31-2019, 06:02 AM)JHG Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 05:26 AM)Jarkko Wrote: Nothing wrong with that. OSTs are good. Well, for the most part. There are always going to be a few groaners here and there. :P
I know; I ONLY listen to the ones I like. It seems self centered but it’s my honest choice.

Eh, I think everyone's like that. I don't know of anyone who chooses to listen to music that they dislike (unless they're doing it so that they can criticise it or make fun of it, but that's just about the only time :P )

But, yeah: I agree with Jarkko in that "Best of the current era" is probably as far as we're going to be able to get. Beyond that, it all becomes too subjective, so it's impossible to come to any kind of consensus.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Jarkko