Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What3words (location communication app)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-49319760

Police have urged everyone to download a smartphone app they say has already saved several lives. What is it and how does it work?

What3words essentially points to a very specific location.

Its developers divided the world into 57 trillion squares, each measuring 3m by 3m (10ft by 10ft) and each having a unique, randomly assigned three-word address.

For example, the door of 10 Downing Street is slurs.this.shark, while the area across the road where the press congregate is stage.pushy.nuns.

But still, not enough people know about it according to Lee Wilkes, a crew manager for Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service, one of 35 English and Welsh emergency services to have signed up to the system.

"It cuts out all ambiguity about where we need to be," he said.

I think this is a very neat idea. It's especially helpful for locating people in rural and remote areas, such as when emergency services need to rescue somebody (assuming they have a phone signal - which won't always be the case, but if they don't then they're probably screwed anyway!)

And even in cities, it sounds more convenient than a traditional address (at least, for certain purposes)
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey