Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile app to replace station ticket barriers?
https://www.railpro.co.uk/news/smart-tic...n-barriers

Smart ticket overhaul could signal end of the line for station barriers

Ticket barriers could be removed with new technology being developed and trialled by Hitachi Rail.

Prototype technology currently being tested could use sensors on trains to detect an app on passengers’ smartphones as they board.

There would be no need to remove the phone from pockets or bags and no need for station barriers, signalling an end to queues at the barrier or ticket machine.

Passengers will be automatically charged the correct fare, and Hitachi already has proven smart ticketing technology to ensure the passenger will not be overcharged.

As annoying as ticket barriers are... I'm not sure how well this will work. Not everyone has a phone, and some people will forget to bring/charge theirs or won't have the app, so ticket barriers would still be needed for these people.

Not to mention, when you have variable ticket pricing (common on some long-distance services), it's not hard to see some passengers being charged the wrong price by mistake -_- .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
This is a good idea but like you said, in practice it would be problematic. Phone charge is a big issue with this. However, I think that this could work if the majority have this system but the traditional systems remains too.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach
People forget phones, heck I know people (not just seniors) who just have flip phones.

also, I am willing to bet this will be exploited shorty after it would be brought to the public (if not sooner).

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
(08-14-2019, 10:22 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: People forget phones, heck I know people (not just seniors) who just have flip phones.

Wow, still? I knew some people who did about three years ago, but they've since upgraded theirs. These days, everyone I know either has a smartphone or no phone at all.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items