Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only two original movies broke $100m in 2019
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49318170

Quentin Tarantino's latest movie, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, is only the second original film of 2019 to break $100m (£82.9m) at the US box office.

The recently released film is largely fictional, although it does intertwine real people into the story and uses the Charles Manson murders as a backdrop.

Jordan Peel's horror movie Us is the only other original film so far this year to have made more than $100m.

All the other $100m films are sequels, spin-offs or franchises.

"This is more evidence that Leonardo DiCaprio is the last old-school movie star we've got," wrote Scott Mendelson in Forbes about One Upon a Time in Hollywood's success.

I have to admit, I'm not sure that the "or franchises" bit is entirely fair. The MCU has plenty of sub-series within that franchise, and I don't think the first film in a sub-series (e.g. Black Panther or the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie) should be counted as a 'sequel', which is effectively what this criteria does.

Either way, it's quite depressing :( . There's still a little four months left for another original movie to break through, but I'm not fancying their chances...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Not depressing at all; Franchises, shared universes, and crossovers are the best thing ever!
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
(08-13-2019, 07:09 AM)JHG Wrote: Not depressing at all; Franchises, shared universes, and crossovers are the best thing ever!

Well, I don't think franchises are inherently bad (hence why I think it's a bit unfair to lump them in with "sequels and spin-offs"). If the franchise has lots of new concepts, or interesting new spins on old ones, then that's great :D .

But, franchises are often susceptible to constant re-hashing of old concepts, and being milked purely for commercial gain (see the entire series of Disney live-action remakes, for example :P ). When that happens, I don't like that at all.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(08-13-2019, 04:56 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 07:09 AM)JHG Wrote: Not depressing at all; Franchises, shared universes, and crossovers are the best thing ever!

Well, I don't think franchises are inherently bad (hence why I think it's a bit unfair to lump them in with "sequels and spin-offs"). If the franchise has lots of new concepts, or interesting new spins on old ones, then that's great :D .

But, franchises are often susceptible to constant re-hashing of old concepts, and being milked purely for commercial gain (see the entire series of Disney live-action remakes, for example :P ). When that happens, I don't like that at all.

Don't forget when well established franchises break their universe's rules for no reason/explanation why it now works *cough Star Wars VII - on*cough*

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lurker101 's post:
  • Kyng