Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Awards?
Quote:Maybe in a seperate page on the main forum somewhere? Or just pin a thread that's updated. Also, lol I didn't know second place winners got CC's. xp

Well, the full results are already included in my results announcement threads (such as this one for the July 2019 cycle). I'm not sure what the value of a separate pinned topic containing an archive of this information would be: in all honesty, it just seems to be an additional piece of paperwork for the admins to keep up with (and, again, we have seven pinned topics in Announcements and Board Information as it is - all of which are more important than "This is who came 3rd in the Forum Contributions in all the previous awards"). In my opinion, the CCs and the announcement shout-outs are sufficient.

@DB - I'm not saying that people will abuse the system: I'm just saying it's unwise to leave open the possibility, especially when it's fairly easy to anticipate. Sure, there are eligibility criteria, but they're not massively stringent (and something like this would probably require me to tighten them up to prevent abuse of the "X nominations = automatic win" system... but making it harder to nominate people means fewer people will be willing to post nominations each cycle. Overall, the "X nominations = automatic win" idea just seems to be more trouble than it's worth, in all honesty :( )

I understand that it means some people who deserved an award missed out in this cycle. However, this is a large part of why I hand the awards out fairly frequently: they're purposely held every three months instead of every year, so that people have plenty of opportunities to win them. Those who missed out this time will have another shot in October, and those who miss out in October will have another shot next January - so, just because they didn't get their turn this time doesn't mean that they never will. (I mean, let's suppose that everyone who deserves an award gets one in October 2019. What would that leave for January 2020? Maybe some new people would join in those three months, or start contributing in places where they hadn't before. However, if neither of those things happened, then we'd just end up scraping the bottom of the barrel because all the top-tier candidates had already received their awards)

Another couple of considerations that I hadn't thought of before:

• Any new changes are likely to need explaining in the nominations thread (and other places, like the Awards reference thread and the Award Gallery). This is the nominations thread from July 2019: the opening post is pretty lengthy as it is, but with these proposals, we'd probably need to tack on an extra two paragraphs: one to explain the Silver Awards process, and one to explain the "X nominations = automatic win" process, plus whatever rules we've put in place to stop it from being abused. In my opinion, it'd just make my opening posts far too long and unwieldy, so I'd expect people wouldn't bother reading them, and I'd expect the number of nominees per cycle to drop accordingly :( .

• There's another thing about the "secondary poll for Silver Award" poll that bothers me. The way it's proposed, it'd have to be done after the main poll... but, that'd be like playing the final of the FIFA World Cup on one day, and then having the third-place play-off as the last match of the tournament the following day. It'd be a pretty anti-climactic way to do things :( .

I do hope I'm not coming across as overly dismissive here. I appreciate the sentiment and desire to help out and make things better. Furthermore, I will admit that it does bother me a bit that certain people who deserve Forum Contributions awards don't have them (especially Griefer, who's been very consistent for five years now). However, my three main concerns with the proposals made so far are:

• Creating too much extra work for staff/admins (a consequence of adding complexity to an already-complex system);
  • Overloading members with new/extra information (again, by making the system even more complicated than it is already);
  • Over-correcting, and making the awards too easy to obtain (which would cause them to lose their value).

If there's a problem here, then IMO we need to: a) be clear on exactly what it is, and b) think how we can solve it in the simplest way possible, with as few negative side-effects as possible.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Dust Bowl
(08-03-2019, 01:37 AM)Kyng Wrote: @DB - I'm not saying that people will abuse the system: I'm just saying it's unwise to leave open the possibility,

I know, I know... was kinda pulling your leg there :P I can see why exactly it'd be easy to abuse, I just thought the topic was heading into a much more serious direction than intended and felt like decompressing.

(08-03-2019, 01:37 AM)Kyng Wrote: I do hope I'm not coming across as overly dismissive here.

No, you are just explaining why this wouldn't work. No traces of snark or anything like that in here.

(08-03-2019, 01:37 AM)Kyng Wrote: There's another thing about the "secondary poll for Silver Award" poll that bothers me. The way it's proposed,

I'm... sorry that bothers you? Didn't mean it to be anti-climatic.

(08-03-2019, 01:37 AM)Kyng Wrote: If there's a problem here, then IMO we need to: a) be clear on exactly what it is, and b) think how we can solve it in the simplest way possible, with as few negative side-effects as possible.

I don't think there is a problem, only that the system has room for improvement.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Kyng
Yeah, I understand :) . Even if we haven't found the solution yet, it doesn't mean there isn't a problem - and it is helpful to start looking for the solution in any case :P .

I suppose one issue is that, under this system, someone who contributes consistently for five years will tend to lose out to someone who contributes spectacularly for three months. I suppose that's what the "X nominations = automatic win" thing is aimed at addressing: I think the bar needs to be raised so that it doesn't become too easy to win awards by this method, but I think the principle has merit.

I'll see what I can think of :P .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
(08-03-2019, 02:00 AM)Kyng Wrote: I suppose that's what the "X nominations = automatic win" thing is aimed at addressing:

Yeah, bingo.

I also don't want it to turn into a situation in which you can be awarded by being popular or have good connections, but if we raise the bar a bit higher, like you said... :)

I'm glad we are pushing this forward and finding some ground to move from :)
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
So, I have a suggestion which might make things a bit easier, here. It basically combines the old and new ways in which we gave out the awards.

If the staff notice a member making consistent contributions to a certain area of the board, and they are constantly going unnoticed, they can decide to give an award outside of the poll time. We could restrict these to one per cycle. You could even make this the Silver Award, if you wanted to. And then make it so that if this person does ever win a Golden Award, it replaces the silver one. If it helps, I'm happy to spend a bit of time recolouring all the award sprites.

I don't think any situation which requires a separate poll is a good idea. The awards system is a process that the staff need to be vigilant over, so it makes sense to keep it as simple as possible.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 2 users Like Pyrite's post:
  • Gaomon274, Kyng
(08-03-2019, 05:28 AM)Pyrite Wrote: So, I have a suggestion which might make things a bit easier, here. It basically combines the old and new ways in which we gave out the awards.

If the staff notice a member making consistent contributions to a certain area of the board, and they are constantly going unnoticed, they can decide to give an award outside of the poll time. We could restrict these to one per cycle. You could even make this the Silver Award, if you wanted to. And then make it so that if this person does ever win a Golden Award, it replaces the silver one. If it helps, I'm happy to spend a bit of time recolouring all the award sprites.

I don't think any situation which requires a separate poll is a good idea. The awards system is a process that the staff need to be vigilant over, so it makes sense to keep it as simple as possible.

Now, that's something I can get behind :) !

I'm not quite sure how we should go about doing this too. We could integrate it into the award seasons (sometimes have a 'Staff Pick' in addition to the two from the polls), or we could do it outside award season together :P .

I think the rules should be fairly stringent, though. We could say, for example, that Staff Picks can't be for awards that people already have, and they have to have been in at least three previous polls. (I'm not sure I want this to become a standard thing every cycle, which would increase the number of awards given out by 50%!)

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
  • Pyrite
I'm not sure how it should be. Would the staff pick be its own poll, or forcing a pick to be on the default? I don't feel like a staff pick should trump the normal nomination and poll rules, as it may make people feel like their opinion doesn't weigh as much because they're not a mod.

At the same time, as cool as it'd be to let each mod pick someone, with 2 admins, 1 Emeritus, 1 Art, 1 CAT, 1 Host, and 3 regular mods we would quickly flood the system.
What if we did a staff poll with our separate nominations (just 1 to get in and 1 per person) and a poll?
Top 2 not to win the regular poll get a silver medal and the rest pick up an honorary mention or like a star sticker to still note their good work.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
To be honest, a "Staff Poll" would kind of defeat the point of Pyrite's suggestion. If the regular polls are disadvantaging certain types of members (e.g. people who contribute consistently rather than massively in a short space of time), then they'd probably end up being overlooked in the staff polls for the exact same reason.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
We could bring it up on the staff forum. Perhaps we could make a list of people who've been on two or three polls and not received an award, then add any other consistent contributors, and then select our pick from those names. It wouldn't be an official poll as such between us, just a discussion. And yeah, I agree that once per award cycle is too often - we could either do it once every other cycle, or make it an irregular award that we give out when we feel strongly about someone being recognised.

Of course, it goes without saying that the staff would have to be expemt from this pick as a whole.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
Yeah, I'd prefer it to be an irregular thing, which is given out in less than 50% of cycles, so that people don't start expecting it.

And, of course, staff would be ineligible for any of these special/staff picks :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
  • Pyrite