Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Awards?
It has recently come to my attention that all "regular" awards given out in here are of the golden kind (Golden Controller, Golden Globe, Golden Mouse...) whereas things like the Newcomer of the Year medal are tier-based to ensure that a number of deserving candidates get the recognition they deserve... and considering that every single time we give out Forum Contribution accolades there are much fewer awards handed out than people who deserve them, wouldn't we benefit from having a tier-based system there as well? We really don't have to go overboard, but I thought up two scenarios that I think would do the trick nicely.

1) We can have a second poll up right after the main event is over, listing all of those who were nominated but didn't manage to gather enough votes to win right away, and have a third winner emerge from that voting. These people could sport silver versions of the awards they were nominated for on their signatures, signaling that they were still amazing but just didn't win the main poll, much like like there are Silver and Bronze versions of the Newcomer of the Year award.

2) "X number of nominations should equal an automatic win".

As of right now, to even make it onto the poll and be eligible for an award, two of your fellow members have to spend one of their limited nominations on you, ensuring that it is deserved every time. So, if you keep getting nominated for something across multiple rounds of voting (which happen months apart), I think it is clear that you actually deserve said award and your nomination wasn't the result of a fluke or whim. I mean, isn't the whole point of voting to give a symbolic reward to someone's contributions to the board? It seems weird having people in here going through their third or fourth nomination and still come out empty-handed.

I know these ideas are in a rather rough state and that there's a ton of room to improve them both, but I firmly believe that we can manage to turn them into something usable to better the forum experience for everyone.

Thanks for your time, meatbags :D
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Shiny Star
In the other thread, Pyrite made the suggestion for Platinum awards, to which I responded with the following:

Quote:To be honest, I think introducing a whole new series of awards is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish here. It's also adding another layer of complexity to an awards system which is quite complex anyway (we already have over 30 awards: this would take us to over 40). Not to mention, it'd require the creation of a set of accompanying graphics.

Pretty much all of this would also apply to these 'Silver Awards'. And the other thing to consider is when Lurker said the following:

Quote:The issue I think is that we don't have enough (active) members to do the whole "1 award" limit thing, while keeping the awards to require quality. At some point with the current restrictions and keeping membership and activity on a similar trend there would be scarping the bottom of the pool instead of the cream de la cream.

If we start adding in another series of awards, then we're just going to reach that point even more quickly. (Unless people who win a silver can go on to win a gold later on - which would create the bizarre situation where the 3rd-place person potentially wins a gold and a silver, whereas the top two win only a gold and nothing else, because they became ineligible for any more awards in that category)

As for the "X amount of nominations = automatic win" thing - to be honest, it sounds way too open to abuse. It means all you need to do to win an award is to have two good friends who nominate you repeatedly for cycle after cycle - no matter how well you go on to do in the poll. (And, even if we came up with some means of fixing this, it still means we reach the "barrel-scraping" stage sooner than we would otherwise - and also waters the awards down by increasing the total number handed out)

In short, it sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to set up and administer. But, thanks for the suggestion :) .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(08-02-2019, 06:51 PM)Kyng Wrote: In the other thread, Pyrite made the suggestion for Platinum awards, to which I responded with the following:

Quote:To be honest, I think introducing a whole new series of awards is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish here. It's also adding another layer of complexity to an awards system which is quite complex anyway (we already have over 30 awards: this would take us to over 40). Not to mention, it'd require the creation of a set of accompanying graphics.

Pretty much all of this would also apply to these 'Silver Awards'. And the other thing to consider is when Lurker said the following:

Quote:The issue I think is that we don't have enough (active) members to do the whole "1 award" limit thing, while keeping the awards to require quality. At some point with the current restrictions and keeping membership and activity on a similar trend there would be scarping the bottom of the pool instead of the cream de la cream.

If we start adding in another series of awards, then we're just going to reach that point even more quickly. (Unless people who win a silver can go on to win a gold later on - which would create the bizarre situation where the 3rd-place person potentially wins a gold and a silver, whereas the top two win only a gold and nothing else, because they became ineligible for any more awards in that category)

As for the "X amount of nominations = automatic win" thing - to be honest, it sounds way too open to abuse. It means all you need to do to win an award is to have two good friends who nominate you repeatedly for cycle after cycle - no matter how well you go on to do in the poll.

In short, it sounds like it'd be more trouble than it's worth to set up and administer. But, thanks for the suggestion :) .

I am at work so I skimmed yell at me if what I say doesn't apply.

Honestly 1) I still think people should be open to win an award more then once (other then like new comer of the year and others were it makes sense) 2) A person who wins gold should be still open to win silver in theory and vice versa, since silver is commonly used for 2nd place. But even if some one who had Gold doesn't get a silver it just means they were good enough to never be in 2nd place ;)

3)Lazyness of an admin over rules all :P

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
(08-02-2019, 07:01 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:
(08-02-2019, 06:51 PM)Kyng Wrote: In the other thread, Pyrite made the suggestion for Platinum awards, to which I responded with the following:

As for the "X amount of nominations = automatic win" thing - to be honest, it sounds way too open to abuse. It means all you need to do to win an award is to have two good friends who nominate you repeatedly for cycle after cycle - no matter how well you go on to do in the poll.

I am at work so I skimmed yell at me if what I say doesn't apply.

Honestly 1) I still think people should be open to win an award more then once (other then like new comer of the year and others were it makes sense) 2) A person who wins gold should be still open to win silver in theory and vice versa, since silver is commonly used for 2nd place. But even if some one who had Gold doesn't get a silver it just means they were good enough to never be in 2nd place ;)

3)Lazyness of an admin over rules all :P

1) True - I am still planning to go from a "Forever" restriction to a "1 year" restriction from October 2019. Still, I don't think this would entirely solve the problem.

Let's say we have three members who all post mainly in Technology and Computers. We have "Astounding Alice" and "Brilliant Bob", who contribute loads there - and we have "Competent Charlie", who contributes a fair bit but not as much as the other two. In October 2019, Astounding Alice and Brilliant Bob win the poll, and pick up a Golden Mouse - and then Competent Charlie wins the secondary poll and gets a Silver Mouse. Then, in January 2020, Astounding Alice and Brilliant Bob are ineligible, so Competent Charlie wins a Golden Mouse.

As of February 2020, Astounding Alice and Brilliant Bob each have a Golden Mouse, while Competent Charlie has a Golden Mouse and a Silver Mouse, despite having contributed less than the other two. That doesn't sit right with me: sure, you can argue that "the fact that Astounding Alice and Brilliant Bob don't have a silver just shows that they did better", but that's not how the awards box makes it look!

2) Trouble is, how would this work? In the January 2020 poll, do we say "Astounding Alice and Brilliant Bob are eligible for nomination, but they're only eligible for the silver award"? So, what happens if they make it into the poll, and then win the most votes? Then, we end up with a situation where we award the silver to the top vote-winner, and the gold to someone who won fewer votes :-/ .

I suppose the solution to points 1 and 2 would be to say "If you win a gold then it replaces your silver from the same category, if you have one". After all, we already do something similar with the Arcade Medals :P . Though, the whole thing still comes across to me as complexity for complexity's sake (and, also, how would we do it for Special Contributions? Would those get their own tiers, or would they remain un-tiered? If it's the former, then we'll need to completely re-design them, since I don't think we could easily do 'tiers' with the existing graphics)

3) Well, more like "Being occupied with other stuff" :lol: .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
I'm gonna give an in-depth point when I'm on the PC, but let me just say that this has become really dizzying XD 

PS: Competent Charlie is such an adults' film character name XD

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
Actually we're also 50% water, so we're not just'meat bags'; ya fool. :P

I had an idea as a compromise for this, like maybe second place winners mentions instead of an award.
[Image: queenzelda.gif]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
(08-02-2019, 11:14 PM)queenzelda Wrote: Actually we're also 50% water, so we're not just'meat bags'; ya fool. :P

I had an idea as a compromise for this, like maybe second place winners mentions instead of an award.

I thought it was more like 70% :lol: ?

Interesting idea, but how would it work? Bear in mind that the subsequent places already get CCs (and quite a lot of them: 3rd place gets 1000CC, and 4th place gets 500 :P )

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Maybe in a seperate page on the main forum somewhere? Or just pin a thread that's updated. Also, lol I didn't know second place winners got CC's. xp
[Image: queenzelda.gif]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
Love this idea. :] 
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
My activity will be sparse, so if you need me, I’ll be on my discord or on Pokémon Reborn.

[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
[-] The following 1 user Likes Detective Osprey's post:
  • Dust Bowl
(08-02-2019, 06:51 PM)Kyng Wrote: As for the "X amount of nominations = automatic win" thing - to be honest, it sounds way too open to abuse. It means all you need to do to win an award is to have two good friends who nominate you repeatedly for cycle after cycle - no matter how well you go on to do in the poll. (And, even if we came up with some means of fixing this, it still means we reach the "barrel-scraping" stage sooner than we would otherwise - and also waters the awards down by increasing the total number handed out)

(Finally on the PC).

My problem with... well, your problem is that it just assumes people are gonna try and cheat the system (not unlikely, but come on :P).  Besides, the cheat you are proposing might be simple to pull off, but it is not easy.

Even if I can convince my many underlings to nominate me from every possible award, elections happen every few months... and I'd still need to contribute to the areas in which I'd wanna be awarded in order to be eligible for said award. I can't just have Lurker and Tumbler nominate me for the Golden Microscope if I hadn't contributed to that area, because you'd simply not allow that to happen (and rightfully so). So I don't see why consider any of this to be "easy to abuse" when the groundwork for eligibility still needs to be laid down :P

But I guess the point I have been trying to come across over and over is that there are simply people who wholly deserve awards and are likely to never get them, because they are not popular or well-known enough to do well on the polls (and it is sad that, however well-intentioned these awards are, they still depend heavily on the recipient's popularity).  I don't know if many of us have noticed, but there is one person in particular who pretty much owns the reading section, with quality threads all around... and there is another person whose stream of great content for an award has never diminished, yet they can never seem to get it.

Can't we do something like a yearly honorary award for those whose contributions do not translate well on the polls?

My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey