Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katy Perry copied Dark Horse from Christian rapper Flame
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49161916

Katy Perry copied her 2013 song Dark Horse from a Christian rap song, a US court has ruled.

Katy gave evidence in the week-long trial, denying she had ever heard the 2009 song Joyful Noise by Flame before recording her track.

She even offered to perform Dark Horse for the court room when her lawyers were unable to play the song for jurors because of a broken speaker system.

But despite the joke, the jury ruled against Katy on Monday.

During the trial, Katy's team described the beat of both songs as "commonplace", arguing that because of that, Flame (real name Marcus Tyrone Gray) could not claim copyright.

Having listened to both songs, I won't deny that there are some similarities (in things like the beat, for example). However, if it's just "the beat sounds similar"... that's a pretty basic building block of music, and not enough to say the song was copied IMO. Even if there are some more specific similarities, there are enough songs out there that a few of them could reasonably be expected to share those features by coincidence.

Am I missing something :huh: ?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(07-30-2019, 08:31 PM)Kyng Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49161916

Katy Perry copied her 2013 song Dark Horse from a Christian rap song, a US court has ruled.

Katy gave evidence in the week-long trial, denying she had ever heard the 2009 song Joyful Noise by Flame before recording her track.

She even offered to perform Dark Horse for the court room when her lawyers were unable to play the song for jurors because of a broken speaker system.

But despite the joke, the jury ruled against Katy on Monday.

During the trial, Katy's team described the beat of both songs as "commonplace", arguing that because of that, Flame (real name Marcus Tyrone Gray) could not claim copyright.

Having listened to both songs, I won't deny that there are some similarities (in things like the beat, for example). However, if it's just "the beat sounds similar"... that's a pretty basic building block of music, and not enough to say the song was copied IMO. Even if there are some more specific similarities, there are enough songs out there that a few of them could reasonably be expected to share those features by coincidence.

Am I missing something :huh: ?

The only thing I find interesting in this case, is that its a Christian rapper who makes this claim, given Katy Perry before she was famous was a Christian genre singer. The only similarity between the two songs, is that they use the same synth sound pack or what ever its called, the tempos are different.

This is absurd as Fogerty v. Fantasy, Inc., 510 U.S. 517 (1994).

In which former member of Creedence Clearwater Revival John Fogerty was sued because he sounded like John Fogerty formerly of Creedence Clearwater Revival (and yes you read that correctly).

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
As I said to wife when we heard about this on the radio and they played clips from each song.

Flame saw $$$ in a lawsuit because they sure as hell weren't making bank with music.
My Awards
x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • Kyng
(07-31-2019, 01:48 AM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote: Flame saw $$$ in a lawsuit because they sure as hell weren't making bank with music.

Hahahah. THIS.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Remington
(07-31-2019, 01:48 AM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote: As I said to wife when we heard about this on the radio and they played clips from each song.

Flame saw $$$ in a lawsuit because they sure as hell weren't making bank with music.

Yep, that's probably all it is.

And, now that the precedent's been set, it makes me wonder whether I should put together a song (which no doubt would be absolutely terrible), and then sue the next artist who comes along and makes something vaguely similar :lol: .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
(07-31-2019, 06:43 AM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 01:48 AM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote: As I said to wife when we heard about this on the radio and they played clips from each song.

And, now that the precedent's been set, it makes me wonder whether I should put together a song (which no doubt would be absolutely terrible), and then sue the next artist who comes along and makes something vaguely similar :lol: .
Probably easier to just jump in front of a Lexus and sue the driver like a normal person, CJ.
My Awards
x1
My Items
(07-31-2019, 08:51 AM)MegaphoneStallone Wrote:
(07-31-2019, 06:43 AM)Kyng Wrote:

Probably easier to just jump in front of a Lexus and sue the driver like a normal person, CJ.
Nah, I'll mix my solution with yours by writing a song about doing that :P .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Well, Katy Perry has been ordered to lay $550k to Flame:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-49202652

Could've been worse (after all, it's a drop in the bucket for her) - but, still, it's probably the easiest $550k that Flame has made in his entire life -_- .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Oh this is so dumb. I've never really heard either song but if this was settled because of "similar beats" then everyone using synth and 4/4 time better buckle up and cross their fingers and hope no one else gets sue-happy.
My Awards
My Items
Lol at calling Katy Perry's garbage "music."
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
[-] The following 2 users Like Crooked Crow 's post:
  • MegaphoneStallone , Remington