Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pledge to end smoking in England by 2030
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49079515

The government is pledging to end smoking in England by 2030 as part of a range of measures to tackle the causes of preventable ill health.

Promoting physical activity, developing guidelines on sleep and targeting those at risk of diabetes are also set out as priorities in the green paper.

The policy document aims to reduce the number of years spent in poor health.

Currently men and women spend over a fifth of their lives in ill health - 19 years for women and 16 for men.

Those in deprived areas experience the longest periods of poor health.

This does sound ambitious, and I'm sure smoking is going to continue to decline; however, I can't see it ending altogether, even if it's made illegal.

But, how close can they get?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Smoking, like drinking, is entirely cultural at this point and heavily ingrained. Doubt this is going to make an iota of a difference, but the thought and sentiment is nice. They just want to reduce the amount of years "spent in poor health."
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
It is better than watching your kind poison themselves a little at a time.

Good idea, ya Brits.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey
I admire the attempt - as someone who finds smoking disgusting. Sadly, though, I doubt this will do much good. Prohibition didn't exactly fix drinking issues in the States, and this will just result in the smoking market going under the counter.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Mahkah
Yes please.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
My activity will be sparse, so if you need me, I’ll be on my discord or on Pokémon Reborn.

[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
I say this as someone who abhors smoking and will never touch a cigarette again...
Why make it illegal? Why not just make nicotine illegal and still allow cigarettes? I mean, just watch the sharp decline in smoking once they become WAY less addictive.

Maybe I missed something, tbh I hard a hard time following the article.
My Awards
x1
My Items
Admirable, there's still like a decade left to have a portion of the population to stop smoking...

yeah... this is likely to not be accomplished... once you get into it, it's a hill to climb to just stop smoking
I am someone and something
Hong Kong California United States
YouTube: GiraKeng | Discord: GiraKeng#6289
[Image: badge?user=girakeng]
My Awards
My Items
I'll agree with someone above, its not the smoking you necessarily need to ban, its the drug that makes it difficult to quit--nicotine.  The kids these days are vaping...not smoking your typical tobacco cigarettes of the past.  Many people honestly know the dangers already, but its nowhere near as prevalent as say 50 years ago.  There will always be smokers out there.
Coffee House's resident furry dog 90% of the time.  10% human.
My Awards
My Items
Yeah, I agree that banning smoking is unlikely to work: as with alcohol prohibition, there will still be means and ways to obtain cigarettes illegally (and since they'll be completely unregulated, it'll just make them ten times more dangerous)

As for the proposal on banning nicotine: it sounds like a nice idea, but Australia's done that for e-cigs already, and it hasn't really worked. I suppose the substance can't really be banned altogether - you still want it to be legal for things like nicotine patches - but that opens the door to loopholes like this :( ...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(07-29-2019, 11:40 PM)Kyng Wrote: Yeah, I agree that banning smoking is unlikely to work: as with alcohol prohibition, there will still be means and ways to obtain cigarettes illegally (and since they'll be completely unregulated, it'll just make them ten times more dangerous)

As for the proposal on banning nicotine: it sounds like a nice idea, but Australia's done that for e-cigs already, and it hasn't really worked. I suppose the substance can't really be banned altogether - you still want it to be legal for things like nicotine patches - but that opens the door to loopholes like this :( ...

Oh yeah! The nicotine ban thing here has been a total fail.

Of course no matter what you do the black market is going to thrive. I guess I'm talking more for future generations and people growing up now.
Smoking is something people are always going to want to try (I may not have smoked in a long time, but I definitely enjoyed it.) What I'm thinking is something like what Shisha is now - sell the cigarettes, sell the tobacco. But just make anything sold in a legal establishment nicotine free, thus barely even addictive.

I would say, while that's going to do nothing to stop people from 'dealing' or 'trafficking' Tobacco. It's probably the most practical thing that can be done.

Addiction to cigarettes is the bigger fish to fry than cigarettes themselves.
Even though both are awful, clearly.
My Awards
x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • Shiny Star