Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt's 'bent' pyramid opens to tourists
Egypt https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...03906.html Egypt

Egypt has opened King Sneferu’s 4,600-year-old “bent” pyramid to the public.

The 101m-high structure, in the Dahshur royal necropolis, just south of Cairo, is one of two built for Sneferu, the pharaoh who founded the Fourth Dynasty.

Tourists will be allowed inside the ancient structure after archaeologists found “hidden tombs” containing mummies, masks and tools.

The pyramid’s appearance is unusual, with the first 49m, which have largely kept their smooth limestone casing, built at a steep 54-degree angle before tapering off in the top section.

People can now clamber down a narrow 79m tunnel from a raised entrance on the pyramid’s northern face to reach two chambers deep inside the ancient structure.

Nice :D . Apparently, it's been open to the public before (in the 1960s); however, quite a lot more has been excavated since then, so even people who have been before will be able to see plenty of new stuff.

Judging from some of the pictures in the article, it's quite a tight squeeze - but, even so, it must be quite an experience!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I find it kinda funny that, not long ago, we were talking about a sacred place in Australia being banned for climbers and other people on the grounds of it being sacred, and now a pyramid of all places lifts all restrictions and lets people do as they please there.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world :P

Cool, though.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly
(07-14-2019, 01:23 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: I find it kinda funny that, not long ago, we were talking about a sacred place in Australia being banned for climbers and other people on the grounds of it being sacred, and now a pyramid of all places lifts all restrictions and lets people do as they please there.

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world :P

Cool, though.

True - although, I guess the indigenous people living near Uluru are still practising their traditional religion, whereas the religion of ancient Egypt died out many centuries ago :P .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items