Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refuelling to return to F1?
Checkered-flag https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/48971037 Checkered-flag

Formula 1 bosses are discussing bringing back refuelling in 2021.

Jean Todt, the president of governing body the FIA, said he would like to bring back the practice, which was outlawed before the 2010 season.

Todt said a final decision would be made on the basis of a study on the potential effects.

"Personally, I would like to see refuelling, but I am happy to see a study on the positives and negatives," said Todt.

He said one of the benefits would be that the cars would be lighter at the start of a race as well as smaller.

I have to admit, I'm not wild about this. If we look at this graph of the number of overtakes in F1 over the years... the dip between 1994 and 2009 coincides with when refuelling was allowed in the past.

That's not to say that refuelling was the only reason for the dip, nor that bringing it back would necessarily result in a similar dip today. However, it does suggest that, if you want to see more on-track passes in F1, then bringing back refuelling is not a recipe for achieving that.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items