Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uluru tourists rush to climb before ban
Australia https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48946585 Australia

Tourists to Australia's Uluru have drawn controversy for seeking to climb the sacred indigenous site in the months ahead of a ban on the practice.

Photos circulating online show lines of people snaking up Uluru, with some social media users comparing it to recent scenes on Mount Everest.

It has been criticised as disrespectful to Aboriginal people, who have long asked tourists not to climb.

Locals say some tourists are dumping waste and camping illegally nearby.

In 2017, the board of the Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park voted unanimously to end the climb because of the spiritual significance of the site. The ban will come into effect in October.

Well, I guess this was always going to happen, since all the people who wanted to climb it will be well aware that it's now or never.

Either way, it's certainly not a nice sight for the Aboriginal people to deal with :( .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Psssh, any good tribe would spread rumors about how its haunted and who ever climed it ended up dead.

THen you know pull some Scooby Doo like antics to reinforce the "curse" be it fake death reports, spooking people etc.

(I am being sarcastic in case anything thought I was serious :r)

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
Seriously disgusting.
Is it so hard to respect the wishes of the first Australian people?
I really don't get people! It really sounds like the attitude is 'QUICK GUYS! LET'S BE ARROGANT AND DISRESPECTFUL BEFORE IT'S OFFICIALLY BANNED FOR US'

They say it's a sacred site, then we should respect that. I haven't been yet, but from what I have heard you don't need to climb Uluru to be struck by it's beauty and awed by the sheer size of it.

This quote though:
One critic, Sally Rugg, tweeted: "Can you imagine if people started climbing over the Australian War Memorial?"

Sally gets it! You can see it now, the outrage of all of these bogans and flag wavers (who are probably the very same people who deny the insanely horrible treatment of the first Australians while lowkey enabling/supporting it.)
The true snowflakes.
My Awards
x1
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • Jarkko, Kyng
Honestly? I'm afraid that the official ban to climbing is just going to be followed by a lot more climbing, because now it'd be "cool" to do it, as opposed to only just disrespectful.

We all know how these people think and their approach to all things illegal and/or sacred.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Jarkko, MegaphoneStallone
(07-12-2019, 01:14 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Honestly? I'm afraid that the official ban to climbing is just going to be followed by a lot more climbing, because now it'd be "cool" to do it, as opposed to only just disrespectful.

We all know how these people think and their approach to all things illegal and/or sacred.

Yeah, that is sadly possible. Although, I hope there will be some kind of enforcement to at least keep this under control!

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
I wanted to climb it when I was 10 but damn... didn’t  know it was sacred. 

lol
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
“I have my books here. But also I am thinking: what am I missing? What am I going to learn in school? Facts don’t matter anymore. Politicians aren’t listening to the scientists, so why should I learn?”
Greta Thunberg
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
Some humans are just dumb. Why does this story reminds me of that one guy who was instantly killed by a tribe on a island that was also illegal to step foot on?
                                                    [Image: abQNItp.jpg]
My Awards
My Items
Arcanine
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wobo 's post:
  • Detective Osprey
Problematic Pauline's take: https://www.news.com.au/travel/australia...7b0d3b0e93
My Awards
x1
My Items
Wow, it really says something when the best argument she can come up with is "It's been that way for many years, so why do we need change it now?".

First of all, that argument is not even valid here, because the indigenous people have been wanting to do this for many years (Bob Hawke agreed to do it in 1983 in accordance with their wishes, but that never happened). Secondly, just because a problem has gone unaddressed for a long time doesn't make it any less of a problem. I mean, go back 60 years, and this argument would have been used to defend segregation. Go back 200 years, and it would have been used to defend slavery. Go back 400 years, and it would have been used to defend the absolute monarchy. I'm not saying that climbing Uluru is even remotely as bad as any of those things; however, it's not a very good argument for those wanting to claim the moral high ground. It's just a cheap excuse to avoid addressing long-standing problems.

And, the Bondi Beach analogy is comparing apples and oranges. As far as I'm aware, there's no indigenous group which considers Bondi Beach to be a sacred site.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • MegaphoneStallone