Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music festival cancels policy of charging white people double
Michigan https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48911917 Michigan

A music festival in Detroit that was charging double fees for white attendees is reversing course after a backlash that drew national attention.

Tickets for Afrofuture Fest were $40 (£32) for white people and $20 for "people of colour" - a term used in the US for racial minorities.

The disparity caused one performer to pull out and ticket website Eventbrite to threaten to remove the event page.

The policy was changed on Sunday after "threats from white supremacists".

Afrofuture Fest said in a statement on Twitter that they were changing fees to $20 for all attendees "for the safety of our community". Organisers requested that white people make an additional donation.

Oh, please. This is no way to go about fixing inequality in America. It's no solution to the problem of racial injustice: it's just the opposite side of the same coin -_- .

I'm glad the policy's been dropped; however, it really shouldn't have been implemented in the first place...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Quote:The policy was changed on Sunday after "threats from white supremacists".

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Nope, but how predictable they are pulling the ****ing race bait card.

They changed it because they discovered that its illegal (either by their lawyer *****ng bricks and yelling at them, or those "white supremacists" telling them that they are opening them self up to legal and civil action by doing this) in the US to do that, and they were having multiple acts drop out because of the pricing.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
What the actual F...? Muricans! :P
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
(07-08-2019, 06:27 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA Nope, but how predictable they are pulling the ****ing race bait card.

They changed it because they discovered that its illegal (either by their lawyer *****ing bricks and yelling at them, or those "white supremacists" telling them that they are opening them self up to legal and civil action by doing this) in the US to do that, and they were having multiple acts drop out because of the pricing.

Yeah, I'm sure someone will have reminded them that it's against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - in particular, the bit about "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation... without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.". I'm surprised to see that piece of legislation coming under attack from the far left rather than the far right - but, I guess that's Horseshoe Theory for you :-/ .

And, if they have been suffering racist abuse for this - well, that's sad, but I'm afraid it's predictable: like I said earlier, their own behaviour is just the other side of that same coin. Racism can only truly be resolved if people of all racial groups come together to solve it - but, stunts like this will breed resentment which makes that harder, not easier :( .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(07-08-2019, 07:14 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(07-08-2019, 06:27 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:

They changed it because they discovered that its illegal (either by their lawyer *****ing bricks and yelling at them, or those "white supremacists" telling them that they are opening them self up to legal and civil action by doing this) in the US to do that, and they were having multiple acts drop out because of the pricing.

Yeah, I'm sure someone will have reminded them that it's against the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - in particular, the bit about "All persons shall be entitled to the full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation... without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.". I'm surprised to see that piece of legislation coming under attack from the far left rather than the far right - but, I guess that's Horseshoe Theory for you :-/ .

And, if they have been suffering racist abuse for this - well, that's sad, but I'm afraid it's predictable: like I said earlier, their own behaviour is just the other side of that same coin. Racism can only truly be resolved if people of all racial groups come together to solve it - but, stunts like this will breed resentment which makes that harder, not easier :( .
The far left is unironically Orwell's "Animal Farm" "Four legs good, two legs better"

Also the use of "horseshoe" bugs me, because it implies both side won't end up as the same, but Nazism and what we have seen in Communism both end up being the same in terms of totalitarianism. (constriction camps vs gulag vs what ever North Korea calls them).

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking