Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New UNESCO World Heritage sites (Babylon etc)
Iraq https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-world-...KKCN1U02AW Iraq

RUINS OF BABYLON, Iraq (Reuters) - The ancient city of Babylon, first referenced in a clay tablet from the 23rd century B.C., was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site on Friday, after a vote that followed decades of lobbying by Iraq.

The vote, at a UNESCO World Heritage Committee meeting in Azerbaijan’s capital Baku, made the ancient Mesopotamian city on the Euphrates River the sixth world heritage site within the borders of a country known as a cradle of civilization.

Iraqi President Barham Salih said the city, now an archaeological ruin, was returned to its “rightful place” in history after years of neglect by previous leaders.

Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi also welcomed the news.

“Mesopotamia is truly the pillar of humanity’s memory and the cradle of civilization in recorded history,” he said.

I'm surprised it's taken this long, really. I can only assume it's because there's not a lot left of the original ruins - and, while the replicas look spectacular, they're not really the same.

Let's just hope more violence doesn't break out over the coming years!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey
I'm surprised, too.

I mean, what were they waiting for? The fact that they were in Iraq should have hurried them up, but nope.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
Glad it’s on UNESCO. Bout time.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
“I have my books here. But also I am thinking: what am I missing? What am I going to learn in school? Facts don’t matter anymore. Politicians aren’t listening to the scientists, so why should I learn?”
Greta Thunberg
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
Apparently, Babylon isn't the only new one. Some of the other new UNESCO world heritage sites this year include:

• Myanmar Bagan, Myanmar
  • France French Austral Lands and Seas
  • India Jaipur City, India
  • Japan Mounded Tombs, Osaka Prefecture, Japan
  • Laos Plain of Jars, Laos (see this thread)
  • Iceland Vatnajökull National Park, Iceland

The UNESCO committee is still in session until Wednesday, so there could be a few more to come too!

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
  • Detective Osprey
And another location has been added. This time, it's Jodrell Bank Observatory in Cheshire:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma...r-48893080

Good to see them on the list, though I still haven't forgiven them for taking out their planetarium >_< .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
  • Detective Osprey