Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Stolen' Tutankhamun bust sells for $6m
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-48865336

A 3,000-year-old Tutankhamun bust that Egypt claims was stolen has fetched £4.7m ($6m) at auction.

Egypt earlier called on auction house Christie's to cancel the sale of the relic depicting ancient boy-king Tutankhamun.

The country's foreign ministry says that the bust was probably stolen from an Egyptian temple during the 1970s.

Christie's says Egypt has not expressed concern about the bust in the past, despite it being exhibited publicly.

The brown quartzite, 28cm (11in) relic comes from a private collection of ancient art that Christie's last sold for £3m in 2016.

It sounds like there's not enough evidence been presented to conclude that this was stolen illegally. However, with the issue out there, I know I'd be reluctant to part with that much money for it.

Whoever paid for it must be very confident of its legality (or else, just have an obscene amount of money to throw away!)
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
And now, Egypt is threatening to sue, and asking Interpol to trace the history of this relic:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/j...oned-in-uk

Not surprising that this is going on - but, really, you'd think it would've been better to hold the auction after this!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items