Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone mistakenly thought you were staff on a forum?
(06-17-2019, 06:39 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Shiny Star Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:17 PM)Ann Wrote: I have never been mistaken for staff but have been made staff at 2 forums without asking me first.

Really? That's awful. A lot of people do not want to become staff, which is perfectly acceptable. Was this by two different people?

The funny thing is the Invisionfree support forum (later Zetaboards) used to do this long before I was staff. Some people just logged in the next day to find out they were promoted to staff.
Wow, seriously :-/ ?

I've had that happen to me once or twice (and I will admit I gave people staff positions without asking them when I was new to this), but I hadn't expected the IF/ZB support forums do do that...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(06-17-2019, 06:50 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:39 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 06:30 PM)Shiny Star Wrote: Really? That's awful. A lot of people do not want to become staff, which is perfectly acceptable. Was this by two different people?

The funny thing is the Invisionfree support forum (later Zetaboards) used to do this long before I was staff. Some people just logged in the next day to find out they were promoted to staff.
Wow, seriously :-/ ?

I've had that happen to me once or twice (and I will admit I gave people staff positions without asking them when I was new to this), but I hadn't expected the IF/ZB support forums do do that...
This was like years and years ago I was made staff at the end of 2005, I think Stephen/Yodaminch was the last staff member to be made staff with out asking.

From what I was told when Seth was made Admin, things became more professional, and Stephen stressed professionalism when he became the big bad De facto head of the community team (Before he was made an administrator)

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lurker101 's post:
  • Shiny Star
The 2 Admins who made me staff thought I would be flattered, but I thought it was presumptuous for them to do it.

I find many Admins make regular posting members staff to reward them and to keep them coming back.
My Awards
My Items
(06-17-2019, 06:56 PM)Ann Wrote: The 2 Admins who made me staff thought I would be flattered, but I thought it was presumptuous for them to do it.

I find many Admins make regular posting members staff to reward them and to keep them coming back.

It is flattering but I think offering and asking is also flattering and more professional. 

I see how it could encourage people to come back and give loyal members a 'duty'. However, part of having a community is to be able to have ordinary members that enjoy being a member for being a member. Staff members exist to regulate and reinforce rules so that the community is a friendly, respectful and safe place. Not everyone wants to have that commitment. Speaking on this topic as well, I remember that I was made an admin on a website because of my activity and compliance to the forum rules. I took the role but I was naive taking it. I did an alright job but yeah.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png][Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Eruption Headache Zach
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shiny Star's post:
  • Ann
Yeah I always make the effort to post a topic stating that I need staff, or if I know a member is doing a great job I would at least send them a private message asking if they wanted a promotion, rather than promoting them without their knowledge. I never thought this would have happened to me, but then I do recall posting in a thread that the other member posted, so I guess they thought I was tapatalk staff. :V
[Image: UlpiYU4.png?1]
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ravenfreak 's post:
  • Shiny Star
Not sure if it’s happened to me, but at least it hasn’t happened here yet.
[Image: 400?cb=20190621170454]
“I am a misanthrope, yet utterly benevolent.” — Alfred Noble
Obsessedwithbirds [Image: 60?cb=20190708144734][Image: 50?cb=20190710053751]
Ask. | Art and writing. (updated 7/15) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta