Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arctic permafrost melts 70 years earlier than expected
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world...59056.html

Permafrost hs begun thawing in the Canadian Arctic more than 70 years early because of climate change, according to new research.

A "series of anomalously warm summers” has dramatically accelerated melting rates at three sites despite average annual ground temperatures remaining low. Ponds and hillocks have formed as a result.

It had been thought that the permafrost - ground that remains frozen for at least two years - would remain until at least 2090.

But the study found thawing levels were above 150 to 240 per cent above historic levels.

Researchers called this a “truly remarkable amount".

One thing I did pick up from the article was that, when permafrost melts, it releases gases into the air, which causes temperatures to rise, which melts more permafrost. This would mean that small changes in conditions could cause large changes in the amount of melting (so, the actual scale of the warming might not be as bad as "70 years earlier than expected" makes it sound).

Still, it's certainly not good. No matter the true scale, any faster-than-expected warming is really the last thing we need -_- .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Ohhh, I'm so surprised.

NOT.
[Image: 250?cb=20190609081208][Image: 150?cb=20190615133936]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 6/9) | Fanfics. (updated 6/15) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
I’m sure it’s not as bad as it seems; just because some permafrost melts it doesn’t mean everything is automatically melting.
PS CJ, can I PLEASE hear some good news for once? I refuse to give in to misanthropy no matter what.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items