Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread prefixing
One thing that came out of my latest round of board layout trimming suggestions was the issue of the Gaming Showcase. I considered replacing it with a couple of thread tags/prefixes, but initially rejected this idea on the grounds that it would require a new plugin, and I didn't want to install any more. However, on further investigation, I found that it didn't require a new plugin: MyBB does have this feature, and I'd just overlooked it :facepalm: !

So, now, I'm planning to replace the Gaming Showcase with a series of thread prefixes (which would work both within the main 'Gaming' forum and the 'Nintendo' sub-forum). I've already got a 'Review' prefix, which I've set up to trial this feature. Here's how it looks right now, against @ queenzelda 's Nintendo Switch review:

[Image: M7uhKgg.png]

Yeah, it's a little ugly right now :P . It needs to stand out better than this (perhaps the star could be given a shadow, for example) It also looks a bit wrong being put after the 'Last Post' arrow (it might be better to move this arrow after the topic title - which, incidentally, would match where it was on ZetaBoards). However, if we can get it working well, we could probably implement it more across the board, and add more prefixes for other types of discussion (personally, I'd rather use thread prefixes to denote specific types of discussion, rather than subjects of discussion: subjects are what we use forums and sub-forums for!)

So, what thread prefixes would be useful? The 'Review' prefix could be applied to more than just gaming: we could implement it in the Entertainment forums, as well as Health and Lifestyle, and perhaps even Technology and Computers (since people might want to review software and tech products). A 'Video' prefix, for threads related to YouTube videos and channels, might also be handy, since we have quite a lot of those in various parts of the board. And we could even bring back 'What If?', this time in the form of a thread prefix instead of a forum section!

So, any ideas on this?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 3 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Dust Bowl , Shiny Star
Hope you include this in other forums.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
“If standing up against the climate and ecological breakdown and for humanity is against the rules then the rules must be broken.”
Greta Thunberg
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
[-] The following 1 user Likes Detective Osprey's post:
  • Shiny Star
(06-13-2019, 11:15 PM)ObsessedwithBirds Wrote: Hope you include this in other forums.

Yeah, assuming I can get the Reviews prefix working well, I'll definitely include it in some other forums. I won't put every prefix in every forum, though: just the ones where I think they'll be useful. (For example, I won't have the 'Reviews' prefix active in 'Contests', because it's just not needed there :P )

Also, I don't want to start with too many prefixes. Five or six of them would probably be plenty for the initial roll-out of the system (and even then, only if we can think of five or six genuinely useful ones: I won't add them just for the sake of adding them!)

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
Well, people could also label things for such as: fan fictions, or as original works (for the stories section). Or even used for when some one wants to post maybe a recipe in the food section. I mean the uses are endless if you think about it. :3
[Image: queen-17.png]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
[-] The following 1 user Likes queenzelda 's post:
  • Detective Osprey
(06-14-2019, 07:55 AM)queenzelda Wrote: Well, people could also label things for such as: fan fictions, or as original works (for the stories section). Or even used for when some one wants to post maybe a recipe in the food section. I mean the uses are endless if you think about it. :3

Nice ideas :) . It'd be useful to have 'Art' and 'Story' prefixes for the 'Your Creative Work' board: we used to have them as separate sub-forums, but recently merged them. And I like the 'Recipe' prefix too: some people have suggested recipe sections in the past, but that would involve either adding a sub-sub-forum, or making 'Food and Drink' its own section (neither of which I want to do).

Anyway, I've been thinking a bit more about this - and, since I'd like to keep this system simple to start with, I have three guidelines for suggested prefixes:

1. Clearly-defined prefixes. 'Reviews' is great, because it's usually pretty easy to tell which threads are reviews and which ones aren't. 'Recipes' is also great, because, once again, it's easy to tell which threads are recipes and which are not. On the other hand, a 'Debate' prefix is more ambiguous. We don't do formal, structured debating on here - so, any 'debates' that do take place on here are of the informal kind, and it's hard to define whether or not such a discussion qualifies as a 'debate'. I'm also going off the 'Video' prefix, because sometimes I'll have a topic specifically about a YouTuber, but sometimes I'll post a video to kick-start a discussion about an issue. It's clear that a 'Video' tag would be appropriate in the first instance; however, in the second instance, it's more ambiguous.

2. No overlapping prefixes. Each thread can only have one prefix - so, while I suggested 'Video' and 'What If?' as possible prefixes, it'd be a bad idea to do both (since I sometimes post alternate history videos which could come under both).

And, this last one isn't a rule, but it is a strong preference:

3. Widely-useful prefixes. I don't want to overwhelm people with a large number of prefixes to start with (I suggested five or six would be plenty). So, in order to get the most utility we can out of this system, I'd prefer prefixes which can be employed broadly around multiple forums, rather than prefixes which would only be useful in one specific section. This is a bit of a problem for the 'Recipes' prefix, since it'd only be useful in the 'Food and Drink' sub-forum (however, we probably will still introduce this prefix, since it's great for everything other than this). On the other hand, I don't want them to be too broad: a 'News' prefix would probably cover over 50% of all threads on the board (so, applying it to all existing threads would be too much work, and some people would probably forget to use it, thus giving us a mish-mash of some news threads with the prefix and some without).

Also, I do have some ideas for making them look more attractive, which I hope to demonstrate in a couple of days' time, after I get a chance to sit down and work on styling these things :) !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Gotcha!
[Image: 620834hjpskw5lkm.jpg]
Coffee helps me maintain my “never killed anyone streak” - Anonymous
My Awards
My Items
Well, I've done a little more work on these prefixes, and here's what I've got at the moment on my test board, for the four that have been suggested so far:

[Image: LS3jGJr.png]

They're starting to look a little better :) !

(Oh, and I even found a way to make them clickable, but that's not implemented onto the main board yet :P )

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Gaomon274
Here's another thought: since the Gaming Showcase is going, how about another prefix for things like @ Dust Bowl 's AOE thread or my Circle City thread?

I think it's still worth highlighting things like that - although, I'm not sure what the prefix should be. 'Playthrough' is the best I can think of, although even that doesn't quite fit :-/ .

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I've worked on the styling a bit more:

[Image: EcVoQjX.png]

Each prefix icon now has its own colour. These colours will be the same on all themes, so I've deliberately picked a set of neutral colours that will look good across the board (so they'll look dark on light themes, and light on dark themes :P ).

I've also styled the background on Golden Night (though I haven't yet done this on any other themes, so that's why you've got two screenshots of that theme so far :lol: !)

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I really like that. :O
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gaomon274's post:
  • Kyng