Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Othello / Reversi

Othello (also known as Reversi) is a strategy game for two players, first invented in England in 1883 (although the modern version was invented in Japan by Goro Hasegawa in 1971). It's played on an 8x8 board, with 64 double-sided discs (which are usually white on one side, and black on the other).

The rules are very simple, as follows:

1. Two white discs and two black discs are placed in the centre of the board (in this positon);

2. Black has the first move. They place one of their black discs on the board, in an unoccupied square next to one of the white discs. When they do this, they also flip over any white discs that lie directly between the new black disc and any previously-placed black disc.

3. White then does the same thing. They place a white disc on the board, next to a black disc - and flip over any black discs that lie directly between this new white disc and any white disc that's already on the board;

4. The two players continue taking turns like this until all squares are occupied. Then, whichever player has more discs in their colour wins the game!

As quick as this explanation is, it may raise a few questions - so, here is a slightly more detailed version, by two-time world champion Ben Seeley. Or, if you're comfortable with the game's rules, here is an online version (which I lost at several times before beating - although, when I finally did beat it, I crushed it 50-14 :D !)

So, do you like this game?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Never played, but I've always wanted to.
[Image: 250?cb=20190609081208][Image: 150?cb=20190615133936]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 6/9) | Fanfics. (updated 6/15) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
Well, I had another go - and got another pretty dominant victory:

[Image: uxP148N.png]

The trick is to try and take control of the corners. The AI knows this too - and so, in my games, both of us have desperately tried to avoid playing next to one :P . (In that game, I eventually forced the AI to play next to a corner, which allowed me to grab that corner on the next turn - and then another, and then another, and then the last one Evilgrin )
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items