Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disney's Bolt live action remake(more wishful thinking)
Someday, I hope for that Disney will remake this underrated, fully awesome movie. It would show people the wonder of Bolt and as an extra, drive a nail into the idea they're trying to erase the influence of hand drawn animation since Bolt was CGI. And while this is DEFINITELY more wishful thinking, there's crossover potential with Game of Thrones, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Little Witch Academia.
Cast:
Bolt-Glom Gazingo(darn it! It's Travolta. John Travolta) 
Penny/Visenya Targaryen-See here(As of now, Bella Ramsey is leading but things could change.) 
Mittens-Susie Essman
Rhino-Mark Walton
Ms. Targaryen/Penny's Mom-Someone new.
Pigeons-Someone new.
Penny's agent-Someone new.

As a remake, I would still expect a few changes:
-Penny puts her foot down and decides to search for Bolt regardless of the studio's refusal. Bonus points if she yells "Bolt's my good boy, from this day until my last day!"
-Dr. Calico's actor gets a bigger role. He decides to support Penny's decision to search for Bolt.
-Penny's agent becomes angered at Penny's decision, goes insane and the burning building is set off by him.
-Penny gets trapped in a burning warehouse, rather than a studio set.
-Show more of the enforced method acting having a toll on Bolt's and Penny's health.

While the likelihood for this to become true is likely none, I'd be seeing it nonetheless.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
My son would be excited too.
I guess that's two people.
My Awards
x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaphoneStallone 's post:
  • JHG
Quote: And while this is DEFINITELY more wishful thinking, there's crossover potential with Game of Thrones, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Little Witch Academia.

There's no crossover potential with Game of Thrones :lol: . I get that it features white canines (like Bolt does), but that's where the similarities end. Other than that, they're just completely different franchises with completely different messages and completely different audiences, and the fans of one are unlikely to be entertained by the other (indeed, the parents of most Bolt fans aren't going to let them watch any Game of Thrones!)

And, I don't think the two anime franchises are much better when it comes to crossover potential: again, their settings have practically nothing in common with Bolt's setting. If you're looking to make a crossover between two franchises work, then the franchises need to have much more in common than just "They both feature cute animals". They need settings, backgrounds and messages that complement one another - otherwise, it'll just end up as an incoherent mash-up rather than a believable crossover. (So, as you say, that really is just wishful thinking :P )

Anyway, supposing a live-action re-make of Bolt were to happen, I do wonder how they'd make Bolt himself work. I suspect that some of the 'cute' things he does would be very difficult to pull off with a real dog (and there'd be lots of potential for an animal cruelty scandal if they tried) - so, they'd probably still need to use CGI for at least some of Bolt's scenes. However, it'd still have to look like live-action - and I don't think the technology to make convincing-looking animal movements in CGI is there yet :( . (Then again, I guess they would have run into this same problem when they did the live-action remake of 101 Dalmatians - so, perhaps they can learn from their experiences there :P )

Also, about the 'burning building' scene. I'm sure it could be made to look spectacular in live-action - but, would something like that really be suitable for young children? I reckon it'd have a lot more potential to scare kids in live-action form than in animated form, so having a good 'burning building' scene in live-action would most likely require the film to be rated PG-13. Since I can't see Disney going any higher than PG for their live-action re-makes (they are meant as 'family films', after all), I'm guessing they'd have to avoid this by either scrapping the 'burning building' scene, or heavily toning it down :( .

I suspect that this film could happen eventually, if Disney really runs out of ideas and just keeps on rehashing all of its old IPs that have any value at all. However, if it did happen, then I honestly suspect you'd end up disliking it and much preferring the original (due to Bolt not being as cute in live-action form, and the 'burning building' scene being either butchered or removed)
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • JHG
(06-09-2019, 11:33 AM)Kyng Wrote:
Quote:And while this is DEFINITELY more wishful thinking, there's crossover potential with Game of Thrones, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Little Witch Academia.

There's no crossover potential with Game of Thrones :lol: . I get that it features white canines (like Bolt does), but that's where the similarities end. Other than that, they're just completely different franchises with completely different messages and completely different audiences, and the fans of one are unlikely to be entertained by the other (indeed, the parents of most Bolt fans aren't going to let them watch any Game of Thrones!)

And, I don't think the two anime franchises are much better when it comes to crossover potential: again, their settings have practically nothing in common with Bolt's setting. If you're looking to make a crossover between two franchises work, then the franchises need to have much more in common than just "They both feature cute animals". They need settings, backgrounds and messages that complement one another - otherwise, it'll just end up as an incoherent mash-up rather than a believable crossover. (So, as you say, that really is just wishful thinking :P )

Anyway, supposing a live-action re-make of Bolt were to happen, I do wonder how they'd make Bolt himself work. I suspect that some of the 'cute' things he does would be very difficult to pull off with a real dog (and there'd be lots of potential for an animal cruelty scandal if they tried) - so, they'd probably still need to use CGI for at least some of Bolt's scenes. However, it'd still have to look like live-action - and I don't think the technology to make convincing-looking animal movements in CGI is there yet :( . (Then again, I guess they would have run into this same problem when they did the live-action remake of 101 Dalmatians - so, perhaps they can learn from their experiences there :P )

Also, about the 'burning building' scene. I'm sure it could be made to look spectacular in live-action - but, would something like that really be suitable for young children? I reckon it'd have a lot more potential to scare kids in live-action form than in animated form, so having a good 'burning building' scene in live-action would most likely require the film to be rated PG-13. Since I can't see Disney going any higher than PG for their live-action re-makes (they are meant as 'family films', after all), I'm guessing they'd have to avoid this by either scrapping the 'burning building' scene, or heavily toning it down :( .

I suspect that this film could happen eventually, if Disney really runs out of ideas and just keeps on rehashing all of its old IPs that have any value at all. However, if it did happen, then I honestly suspect you'd end up disliking it and much preferring the original (due to Bolt not being as cute in live-action form, and the 'burning building' scene being either butchered or removed) 
You kinda underestimate Disney’s ability to make convincing CGI animals; they did it with Dinosaur 2000 and Jungle Book 2016 and will do it for a new Lady and the Tramp starring Tessa Thompson(AKA Valkyrie)
As for the burning building scene, I’m sure it could work fine. The whole point of it is to be terrifying so Bolt can be forced to bring out his imitation super bark. 
And assuming Abby Ryder Fortson or Bella Ramsey or some other excellently talented actor is cast as Visenya Targaryen, I’d at least watch it for her. I’m not sure I could turn against Bolt.
My Awards
My Items
Quote:As for the burning building scene, I’m sure it could work fine. The whole point of it is to be terrifying so Bolt can be forced to bring out his imitation super bark.

To be honest, this kind of re-inforces my point.

I think that scene would be inherently more terrifying in live action than it is in the animation. So, how are they going to include it, have it serve its purpose of being really terrifying, and still keep a PG rating? (Because I can't see them being willing to make this a PG-13 movie. Granted, some PG movies, like the first Harry Potter movie, do have scenes in burning rooms; however, the fire doesn't present any danger to the characters and isn't meant to be terrifying)

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
(06-12-2019, 07:02 AM)Kyng Wrote:
Quote:As for the burning building scene, I’m sure it could work fine. The whole point of it is to be terrifying so Bolt can be forced to bring out his imitation super bark.

To be honest, this kind of re-inforces my point.

I think that scene would be inherently more terrifying in live action than it is in the animation. So, how are they going to include it, have it serve its purpose of being really terrifying, and still keep a PG rating?
In that case, the burning building would probably be replaced with something else like a labyrinthine hallway with torches as a subtle callback. Oh well, I suppose that could be interesting but I would've liked to see the burning building in live action.
My Awards
My Items
I suppose that could work. It'd make the scene disturbing rather than plain terrifying, but it could still serve the same purpose like that.

Or, another option I just thought of: perhaps there is a burning building, but Penny and Bolt aren't trapped in it? Maybe they're trapped just outside it, and the only obvious way out of their trap is to go through it. This way, Bolt doesn't bring out his imitation Super Bark to get out of the burning building: he uses it to avoid going in. In the end, Penny and Bolt use their ingenuity to find an alternative way out, that doesn't require them to go through the burning building at all (or only requires them to be in it very briefly).

This way, they could still show a full burning building, but since the fire wouldn't pose the same kind of imminent threat to the characters, they could probably still get away with a PG rating.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items