Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bad Maps Thread
As you may be aware, a lot of people accidentally leave New Zealand off their maps - and it's something of a running joke. 

The latest victims (or, perhaps, perpetrators?) are Ikea:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-47171599
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
In my opening post of the thread on the old forum, I started with an Emperor Tigerstar video about some horrible maps from an old history book.

Turns out he's done a sequel:

Gave me a good laugh :lol: !

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey
And another one, from the same channel:

If you're curious about the second one, it comes from an alternate history timeline called "A World of Difference". However, it seems that somebody somehow mistook it for a real-world 2012 map :lol: !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Here's a horrible map from Ethiopia's foreign ministry:

[Image: gj8K5T7.png]
(Source: The Somalia Star)

First of all, showing the Western Sahara as part of Morocco is pretty contentious - although, since some countries recognise it as such, I'm willing to let that slide. Secondly, it shows Somaliland as an independent nation - which no country recognises, but since Somaliland is de facto independent, I'm even willing to let that slide.

What I'm not willing to let slide, however, are the following omissions:

• Ethiopia got its own border wrong :headbrick: . They show the non-Somaliland parts of Somalia as part of Ethiopia!
  • South Sudan is still shown as part of Sudan. This isn't 2011, is it?
  • The two Congos are merged together (and, surprisingly, the smaller Republic of the Congo has annexed the larger Democratic Republic of the Congo :lol: )
  • South Africa has swallowed Eswatini and Lesotho.

Back to the drawing board, I think!

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Next up, we have this beauty, put together by hotel search site Trivago:

[Image: XfiigJg.jpg]
(Source: Trivago / Huffington Post Life)

A couple of problems I have with this map:

• While the blue signs with the city names are pointing to approximately the correct locations, the bubbles with the country flags are not centred on the corresponding cities. The bubbles for Las Vegas look like they're centred on Phoenix; the bubbles for Orlando look like they're centered on Mobile; and the bubbles for New York City look like they're centred on Virginia Beach. This is all messy and confusing :facepalm: .

• Worse still, the sizes of some of the bubbles make no sense. For example, for Chicago, the 12% for 'Spanish' is around the same size as the 19% for 'Other'. Las Vegas is pretty bad too: the 17% for 'Other' is around the same size as the 8% for 'French'. But I think New York is worst of all, because the 22% for 'German' is clearly larger than the 23% for 'Other' Headdesk !!!

What's wrong with a simple bar graph or pie chart? Either would have been much better for presenting this data...

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
(08-13-2019, 05:11 PM)Kyng Wrote: Next up, we have this beauty, put together by hotel search site Trivago:

• While the blue signs with the city names are pointing to approximately the correct locations, the bubbles with the country flags are not centred on the corresponding cities. The bubbles for Las Vegas look like they're centred on Phoenix; the bubbles for Orlando look like they're centered on Mobile; and the bubbles for New York City look like they're centred on Virginia Beach. This is all messy and confusing :facepalm: .

• Worse still, the sizes of some of the bubbles make no sense. For example, for Chicago, the 12% for 'Spanish' is around the same size as the 19% for 'Other'. Las Vegas is pretty bad too: the 17% for 'Other' is around the same size as the 8% for 'French'. But I think New York is worst of all, because the 22% for 'German' is clearly larger than the 23% for 'Other' Headdesk !!!

What's wrong with a simple bar graph or pie chart? Either would have been much better for presenting this data...

At lease they have the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the map.

[Image: f6w98q3aobf31.jpg]

credit to: https://www.reddit.com/r/MapsWithoutUP/

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
(08-13-2019, 05:18 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 05:11 PM)Kyng Wrote: Next up, we have this beauty, put together by hotel search site Trivago:

Wow :facepalm: .

It doesn't surprise me that some maps show it as part of Canada, or part of Wisconsin - but I am shocked to see so many missing it off altogether!!!

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
(08-13-2019, 08:48 PM)Kyng Wrote:
(08-13-2019, 05:18 PM)Lurker101 Wrote:

Wow :facepalm: .

It doesn't surprise me that some maps show it as part of Canada, or part of Wisconsin - but I am shocked to see so many missing it off altogether!!!

I have seen maps just merge MI and Canada and take out the great lakes.

But this is from a team of French storm chasers who came to the US to storm chase.

Before you see the map, storm cashing requires the ability to read maps and radars (with maps on them).

[Image: OYqG0me.png]

They are Calming that Chicago, IL, USA is in Moosonee, Ontario, Canada.

Moosonee has no roads leading out of it, it is totally isolated from the rest of Canada.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking