Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Bad Maps Thread
Another thread continued from the old forum. Post maps which are poorly-drawn, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise terrible :P

I'll start with this map, from Chris Sawyer's Locomotion

[Image: 8WiOMsO.png]

I guess the eastern half of the map isn't so bad. The spelling of 'Cincinnati' needs fixing, and I have to quibble with the two inclusions from North Carolina (which is a little bit off the edge of the map) - but, rename 'Greensboro' to 'Lexington' or 'Louisville', and re-name 'Charlotte' to 'Nashville' or 'Knoxville', and the eastern half becomes a decent approximation of the Midwest and the Upper South. 

However, the western half of the map is terrible. El Paso, Albuquerque and Salt Lake City are all in completely the wrong places :lol: !

So, any more that you'd like to share?
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Jarkko, ObsessedwithBirds
Does this count? It's so stupid, it makes me laugh. :lol:

[Image: snow_to_wine.0.png]
Found via Vox.
[Image: 150?cb=20170420085755][Image: 120?cb=20180313043226][Image: 120?cb=20180515173137][Image: 106?cb=20180401010816]
Fight for me.... FIGHT for me...
Just give me kindness... Lit from above... Just give me hope... A simple love...
Obsessedwithbirds
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
[-] The following 1 user Likes ObsessedwithBirds 's post:
  • Jarkko
Rofl
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarkko's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
[Image: Dbnpv9cWsAAcd09.jpg]
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 3 users Like ACBlackJ0ck's post:
  • BrynStevens , Kyng, ObsessedwithBirds
Well, had The Proclaimers walked 500 miles north-east, they would have ended up in Bergen. So, they could well have woken up next to me :lol: !
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Jarkko
This one looks really stupid:
[Image: 5PdL1H9.png]
Source: https://sites.psu.edu/swabmaps/2014/03/2...-bad-maps/
[Image: 150?cb=20170420085755][Image: 120?cb=20180313043226][Image: 120?cb=20180515173137][Image: 106?cb=20180401010816]
Fight for me.... FIGHT for me...
Just give me kindness... Lit from above... Just give me hope... A simple love...
Obsessedwithbirds
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
Just re-hosted it because your link wasn't working :( 

But, yeah, I agree. I like the idea of the raised states, but without any kind of scale, it's just confusing in practice -_- .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
Here's one I found today during my random browsing: 

[Image: ceyamlL.jpg]
(Source: https://people.uwec.edu/ivogeler/w188/ut...-mapUT.jpg)

Three things wrong with this: 

1) It lacks a consistent colour scheme. Better to use shades of one colour (or, at least, a gradient between two colours). 
2) The categories are completely arbitrary. Why do they have "40-63", and then "64-73" :-/ ?
3) Comic Sans = DIE

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items
Okay - so, a couple of days ago, America voted on its new representatives, senators, and governors - and now, as the results continue to come in, they're being compiled into maps like the following: 

[Image: 4ln5zdr.png] [Image: hfO3SmO.png]
(Click to enlarge; Source: CNN - Kansas - California)

The Kansas map is fine. Even if you have no interest in politics, you probably have no problem understanding it: the blue counties were won by the Democrat, the red ones were won by the Republican, and deeper shades of red and blue indicate bigger margins of victory. All very clear and simple, so this map doesn't deserve to be in a "Bad Maps Thread". 

The California map, on the other hand, does deserve to be in a Bad Maps Thread. Both of the candidates in that election were Democrats, so the counties won by Feinstein are coloured in blue, and the counties won by de Leon are coloured in....blue -_- . This is an incredibly confusing map: you can't tell who won a particular county from looking at it. Couldn't they at least have put one of the candidates in a different colour - or, at the very least, a different shade of blue :-/ ?

My Awards
x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x5
My Items