Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does a hit song really need 9 writers?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48395059

Rudimental's uplifting dance track These Days has been named the most-performed song of 2018 at the prestigious Ivor Novello Awards.

A major international hit, it topped charts across Europe, and became the UK's fifth best-selling single of 2018.

But their prize had to be shared between nine writers - a phenomenon that's become increasingly common.

According to research by Music Week, it took an average of 5.34 people to write last year's Top 100 biggest singles.

That's up from 4.84 in 2017, and 4.53 the year before. So what's going on?

I guess some of this is just credits being handed out to everybody who might otherwise sue them; however, I suspect that doesn't tell the whole story here. It does seem as though songwriting teams are getting more prevalent than individual writers.

Do the songs benefit from this, though? It's hard to see this: in my opinion, current music (with more average writers) isn't any nicer to listen to. Then again, while an individual writer can write a wonderful piece of music, I guess it might be harder for them to sustain that level for piece after piece - so, perhaps that's where the teams come in...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Oh there is definitely more people being given credit so they don't sue these days. Humans as a whole are getting increasingly more sue-happy and demanding more credit for less work.  I feel like there's also fewer solo artists and more people joining bands, therefore songs being more of a group effort.

Or maybe people are just clout hungry and less able to write popular music by themselves. XD
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Remington's post:
  • Jarkko
There is two issues now 1) Sampling is a big part of the rap/hip hop scene and it has moved in to pop music.
2) Even if there isn't sampling, there is only a finite amount of musical notes that sounds good together and as such songs often use the same cord progressions... as shown here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOlDewpCfZQ (Axis of Awesome - 4 cords)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxkVQy7QLM (Rob P - Pachelbel Rant)

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
People really should write their own songs rather than let someone in the corner doing the work for them. I think if memory serves me. the Dweeber's "hit" song had like eight writers. But even so, the writing content in that one is just dreadful as we all know.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
I think that songwriting is part of the creative, musical singing realm but not every singer can write music. Likewise, not every songwriter can produce amazing music. Although they are skills and capabilities that do come hand in hand with each other, there definitely isn’t a necessity to be able to both. Someone could be a breathtaking singer but not be able to produce their own lyrics or chords, which is perfectly acceptable. Of course though, if you write your own material it can be more personal so more raw emotion can be put into the song. That would probably improve the quality of the time. 

I know plenty of singers that have produced excellent material, such as Halsey, Demi Lovato, Billie Eilish and Yungblud. I know that Halsey has written a lot of songs based on really personal experiences (which is one of the many reasons I love her). However, I am not sure if anyone else edited these songs after they’d been written. I would assume that there a process where they were reviewed by the record label or whatever. Either way, the main ideas are still composed by a core writer in this situation. 

As an observation, I think that a lot of songwriters that do not perform the actual music are often not credited enough. Everyone knows who sang a song but they won’t always see or know about the behind the scenes stuff. A lot of listeners probably don’t care about who actually wrote it. They probably are more interested in whether they like the song or not. 

Nine writers isn't essential for a hit. However, a consensus of trained professionals in the field approving a song does increase the chances of the song being a hit. At the end of the day, the music and the voice must also fit the lyrics.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png]
[Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Zach Eruption Headache Lee