Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Netherlands win Eurovision Song Contest
Netherlands https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48324831 Netherlands

The Netherlands' Duncan Laurence has won the 2019 Eurovision Song Contest with his song Arcade.

He had been the bookmakers' favourite to win, and came through to the top of the leaderboard with 492 points after the public vote.

The UK's Michael Rice came bottom, after getting just three points from the public vote, and a total of 16 points for Bigger Than Us.

Laurence said: "Here's to dreaming big, this is to music first, always."

The last time The Netherlands won was 1975. The audience joined in as Laurence performed the track again at the end of the show.

Congrats to the Netherlands: I didn't realise it was so long since they last won!

I was quite pleased to see that Norway came 5th: they always seem to do well. And, as for the UK: we were also there :lol: .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I haven't watched this in years. It started making me far too irate and it's not a show that's supposed to be taken too seriously... so stepping back was for the best.

People saying 'I wonder why we didn't do well!' trying to blame the EU situation on it are basically stirring trouble. No, we haven't done well in years - long before Brexit - because we're not a well-loved island-and-a-quarter. (And we're not in a bloc.) In fact, the year we voted out the EU we actually did a bit better than previous years. 1997 is long behind us now and the UK will never win again. I told you I need to keep away from the Eurovision! :P

I didn't realise it hadn't been since 1975 that The Netherlands has won the contest either, so that's a nice thing for the people in that country who actually care. :D
My Awards
My Items
Begonia Rainlily Magnolia
Congratulations to Dutchland, but commiserations to a nation that keeps failing... and that's us stupid Brits. We really should give up.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
(05-19-2019, 02:46 PM)BrynStevens Wrote: Congratulations to Dutchland, but commiserations to a nation that keeps failing... and that's stupid Brits. We really should give up.

Honestly, I don't know why we even bother with it either. We don't have a whole bunch of nations block-voting for us (unlike the Scandinavian and eastern European nations, for example).

That doesn't mean there's any kind of conspiracy between the block-voters - it's completely natural that culturally similar nations will have similar tastes in music, and that will be reflected in the voting - but, it does place the UK at a real disadvantage.

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
From that said, it's not confirmed that the UK will return for next year's contest. To be honest, they should've just pulled out completely after the sheer embarrassment they caused over at Riga sixteen years ago :facepalm: Also, not even Blue can save the day when they tried.

We're natural-born losers now, and it's a shame :(
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
(05-19-2019, 02:57 PM)BrynStevens Wrote: From that said, it's not confirmed that the UK will return for next year's contest. To be honest, they should've just pulled out completely after the sheer embarrassment they caused over at Riga sixteen years ago :facepalm: Also, not even Blue can save the day when they tried.

We're natural-born losers now, and it's a shame :(

Or I guess we could just start our own "Brexitvision Song Contest", which is contested between the constituent countries of the UK, plus the surrounding islands :P .

(Although, since England has 80-90% of the UK's population, I'm guessing it would need to be split up, so that each of the nine English regions gets its own entry!)

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
Or maybe, Scotland gets it own entry. We can surely do better 8D (although Scotland did try to come as a separate participant but failed many times).
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items