Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minecraft turns 10 years old
Okay - so, on 17th May 2009, the very first release of Minecraft went online. This version of the game - which would later be known as 'Minecraft Classic' - didn't look like much: the basic Minecraft aesthetic was there, but there were no biomes, no food, no mobs - and, heck, even no crafting. However, these core elements - and countless other embellishments - would be added one by one, propelling the game from internet obscurity to the global stardom that it enjoys today. Just recently, it became the best-selling computer game of all time, surpassing even Tetris.

The 10th anniversary of this first release was marked by the announcement of Minecraft Earth. However, I also wanted to start a separate topic for us to reminisce about the past decade of playing the game - and also share our hopes for the game's future.

Myself, I was introduced to the game in mid-2011: I'd heard the hype about it, and several of my friends had recommended it to me, so I decided it was time to give it a try. I waited for it to download, then opened it up, created a new world - and, initially, I was perplexed, to say the least. As I stared at the blocky, low-resolution graphics, and watched some boxy-looking pigs bobbing up and down, I was left thinking to myself, "This is it?". However, I gave it a chance, and I soon found that the game had a certain charm to it: I particularly liked the little quirks and details, such as the floating islands that the terrain generator produced at the time. For the next few hours, I dug around - first for coal, then for iron, and finally, for gold and diamonds.

During the latter part of 2011, Minecraft was the #1 game that I played: it helped to keep me sane during my third year at university. For me, 'keeping me sane' meant blasting a virtual world to pieces with as much TNT as I could lay my hands on - or whatever mods would give me even more explosive power. Equivalent Exchange was a particular highlight - and, while I never got to some of the really endgame content, the various 'catalyst' mining tools were always a ton of fun to use. Or, when I was in a more constructive mood, I built myself a basic calculator out of Redstone - or invented new ways to send mobs to an untimely death Evilgrin .

Over the course of 2012 and 2013, I eagerly anticipated every new update that came out. 1.2 brought beautiful jungles; 1.3 introduced a trading system, to make villagers (or, "Hrrrrs", as I always called them) worth visiting; 1.5 gave us new Redstone goodies; and 1.6 brought horses :D . However, by the end of that year, I found I was beginning to lose interest in the game. It's difficult to pinpoint a specific reason, but I do have a number of ideas. First of all, the 1.7 update had been pretty lacklustre in my opinion, and there wasn't another one for almost a year (and then another for over a year after that). Second, I felt that, somewhere along the line, the game had lost its charm that had captivated me back when the game was still in Beta. And, finally, I was just running out of ideas for things to make :( . Still, it's a game that's given me plenty of pleasant memories over the years - and so, it's one that I continue to go back to every now and then. Sometimes, I'll watch an old video and get nostalgic, then load up an older version of the game for a spin. Or, sometimes, I'll have an idea for an insane build - and then swiftly come to my senses and abandon it :lol: .

I don't know whether I'll ever be able to re-capture the passion that I had for Minecraft back in 2011-13; however, I did have some excellent times with the game during those years - and I do hope there are still more to come in the future :) !

So, what about you?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I stopped playing it back in 2016. But back when I was a kid in 2011-2015, I used to play the Xbox 360 version of it so much. Me and my Brother made so many worlds together and built so many things, I even built Carrow Road.

I was introduced to the game in 2011, my Brother bought a digital veraion of it with his xbox points. And I joined him in one of his worlds, and then I instantly got hooked to the game and continued playing it for another 4 years. 

In 2014, I had a huge city world and used to invite my friends into it. In 2014, Minecraft and Fifa 14 were my most played games of that year.
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jackster's post:
  • Kyng
Nice :D . I always want to build a city world; however, I keep getting bored after the second building or so. It's even slower than building a big city in Cities: Skylines, after all!

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
I got into Minecraft in 2013, and I've always had a love for the game since. I've never managed to stick to a survival world for long, mostly because I tend to steer more towards building things than playing. However, when 1.13 released I finally made a world with the intention to make it my main world. I spent a while searching through seeds for a map that had a mushroom biome near spawn, as I wanted to build my base on one so as to not worry about lighting everything to stop mob spawning. I would rather go for atmosphere with my builds, but you can't do that outside of a mushroom biome without mob spawns happening.

Unfortunately, 1.14 was announced shortly after I started that 1.13 world, and though I spent some time exploring it, I tailored off to wait for 1.14 to come out so my chunks around my mushroom island wouldn't be outdated. Alas, turns out world generation itself didn't change, just the structures within it do, and while I could continue to use 1.13 and update those villages as I find them, I'd be lacking the pillager outposts entirely. So I opted to restart the world in 1.14 since I don't mind redoing everything, and the new blocks will make my builds look better and save me having to update them later. The reason I was going to wait on playing 1.14 was for Optifine, but I can manage without it for a few weeks and I'll be able to get excited to have it back.
My Awards
x1 x2
My Items
Well, let's hope that 1.15 (when it comes) doesn't force you to start over once again. One of my worlds dates back to 2012, and as you'd expect, the terrain generation is an utter mess, with jagged edges and mixed-up biomes all over the place :lol: !

BTW, has anyone downloaded the anniversary map? I've downloaded it, and had a quick explore around the central area, which has a massive white room containing information about every block within the game. (That's only one of the main five areas, though: I haven't explored the other four yet :O !)

From what I've seen so far, the scale is amazing :O . Some bits are rough around the edges, but when you're talking about a map with this much content stuffed into it, I guess that's inevitable!

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
I started playing in 2013, I believe... on a computer utterly, painfully unsuited to run it properly. The resulting lag made playing the game a complete chore, but one I didn't mind... I was having too much fun putting blocks together to create basic structures.

The first building I have ever built still stands in place (as does everything I else I have created over the years, since I have that world lovingly backed up): a giant warehouse with a yellowish-black "radio antenna" sticking on top. The interior of the building was completely naked, save for a bed atop a small, wooden stage and a small, locked chamber that was used to lock villagers in. I had insane fun throwing water on top until they died xD

After that fun ran out (yes, it did eventually) I started building other things: bridges connecting mountains, outposts, a small fleet of ships that's now gigantic... stadiums, minefields, planes, a huge railroad network connecting many game-generated villages with my own place... you name it, really.

In 2015 I started chatting with a couple of Minecraft junkies over a Spanish forum and one of them was awesome enough to buy me an official account for the game, which I still use. That added another layer of enjoyment to a game that I already loved to play. Being able to play with real people in real time was an amazing concept that I never quite got tired of.

Unfortunately, Minecraft itself decided to commit suicide in front of me by requiring me to jump through hoops in order to get the most of it. Many a time I built stuff in Forge using a mod just to find out that those blocks I had used were now giving a hell ton of ID errors and were replaced with either incorrect chunks or nothing at all. I have since fixed that by sticking to version 1.12, but it kind of sucks, really.

Still I love this game, man!
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Matthias720
I just bought it for my computer, so let’s see if it holds up...

edit: okay, it's working! :O
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
My activity will be sparse, so if you need me, I’ll be on my discord or on Pokémon Reborn.
Obsessedwithbirds [Image: 60?cb=20190708144734][Image: 50?cb=20190710053751]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta
I don't want to sound like a hipster, but I was aware of Minecraft before it was cool...

Okay, okay, I didn't KNOW what it was, but I knew the name.

Friends of mine on another forum raved about it, and I thought they were loony. I eventually got tired of listening to all that babble and decided to check it out. I was an immediate convert! Regrettably, I didn't have the chance to buy it in Alpha, but I was able to get it shortly after Beta started.

Man, the game was so different then! No hunger, no wolves, not even beds! You had to huddle in your hovel until daybreak came, cleansing the Overworld of undead, leaving only spiders to deal with. Oh, and food didn't stack. You needed a single chest to hold 27 porkchops. Still, I can look back at that time fondly.

Beta 1.7.3 was some of the most fun I think I've ever had gaming. I played a precursor modpack called AMCO (I think). It had so many broken mechanics that I could travel wherever and live out of my various bags of holding, collecting valuable items as I went.

To install the pack, I had to manually open and modify the .jar file. Anyone from that era can chant the mantra of "Delete META-INF" in their sleep. *shakes fist* Whippersnappers these days have it so easy! They click three button and have entire modpacks dropped at their feet! In my day, we climbed up hills both ways to get our modpacks, and braved the untamed wilds of filesharing sites to download them.

Joking aside, I don't think many kids nowadays would "get" what made the Alpha and Beta of Minecraft special. There was no such thing as Early Access. That just wasn't done. Regardless of one's opinion of Notch, he did something incredible by keeping players in the loop with development and actively including them. We can't escape that mentality now. *shrug*

The release of Minecraft 1.0 was something special. I remember staying late on campus after classes and work to watch the livestream and official release. That was an amazing thing to watch, and if I could have afforded the time off from work, I'd have gone to Minecon in a heartbeat. Oh well...

I haven't been able to play Minecraft in a long time, what with an almost broken computer, but I miss it dearly. Although if I'm perfectly honest, I haven't moved past 1.7.10, as I think it had the best mods. Also, newer mods/modpacks tended to not run as well on my ancient laptop. :P

In conclusion, I salute Minecraft on a decade of existence. It is a treasure that I hope will stand the test of time. Here's to another 10 years of blocks, mobs, and mods! Cheers!
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Matthias720's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Dust Bowl
lol I remember, it must have been 2010 or so, my sister's (now) fiance playing it at our place and I was all 'wtf is that' and he was like 'minecraft' and i was like 'k looks lame'

Now my kids are playing it.

I still don't even get what it is.
My Awards
x1
My Items
Never was a fan of this whatever it is; never will be.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items