Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
25% of Antarctic ice sheet unstable
Antarctica https://www.independent.co.uk/environmen...16971.html Antarctica

One-quarter of the west Antarctic ice sheet is now unstable, according to a new study that looked at 25 years of satellite data.

Some of the largest glaciers have thinned by more than 120m with ice melting at up to five times the rate it was in the 1990s.

As the climate warms, rising sea levels form one of the most significant threats facing humanity. The complete loss of the west Antarctic ice sheet would result in global sea levels rising by up to 5m, scientists say.

“We can see clearly now that a wave of thinning has spread rapidly across some of Antarctica’s most vulnerable glaciers, and their losses are driving up sea levels around the planet,” said lead author Andy Shepherd from the University of Leeds.

“Altogether, ice losses from east and west Antarctica have contributed 4.6mm to global sea level rise since 1992.”

Definitely not good. 5 metres doesn't sound like very much, but it would be enough to submerge many coastal towns and cities - not to mention several island countries and about half of the Netherlands -_- .

Granted, we're not up to that point yet, but it is worrying that that's where we seem to be heading towards...
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Huh, this doesn't surprise me. 

One icy bit.
[Image: latest?cb=20190514052512]
[Image: latest?cb=20190421043025][Image: 33?cb=20190413021943][Image: 45?cb=20190415085438]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 5/22) | Fanfics. (updated 5/16) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir
[-] The following 1 user Likes ObsessedwithBirds's post:
  • Dust Bowl
I like how, in the future, we will be reading books about how great nature was... written by the same people who were hell-bent on turning the planet into the barren desert it is heading towards being.

I will NEVER shake off "The Passenger Pigeon" book, written shortly before the ending of the species died. A piece of media full of regret and crying, but that was written by someone who, many a time during the chapters, confessed to poaching and killing birds for fun.

*Headdesk for ever*.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds