Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft and Sony form streaming partnership
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/w...gs-future/

In a rare move, console rivals Microsoft and Sony announced a major collaboration on Thursday to join forces on a potentially huge new gaming sector: the cloud. The companies announced today that they have entered into a "memorandum of understanding" to "explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services."

The surprise move is the closest sign of collaboration between two fierce competitors in the console-gaming space, but it is probably not a sign that they will stop being competitors any time soon.

As part of the agreement, Sony will still use Microsoft's Azure servers and data centers for its own game and content-streaming services. That presumably includes PlayStation Now—the Sony game-streaming service launched in 2014 after Sony's 2012 acquisition of streaming company Gaikai—and PlayStation Vue, the company's Internet-based cable TV alternative.

Well, as intense as the rivalry between Microsoft and Sony is, I suppose it does make sense for them to come together against a common competitor where that's possible.

But, is it a match made in heaven, or a marriage doomed to end in divorce?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(05-16-2019, 10:36 PM)Kyng Wrote: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/05/w...gs-future/

In a rare move, console rivals Microsoft and Sony announced a major collaboration on Thursday to join forces on a potentially huge new gaming sector: the cloud. The companies announced today that they have entered into a "memorandum of understanding" to "explore joint development of future cloud solutions in Microsoft Azure to support their respective game and content-streaming services."

The surprise move is the closest sign of collaboration between two fierce competitors in the console-gaming space, but it is probably not a sign that they will stop being competitors any time soon.

As part of the agreement, Sony will still use Microsoft's Azure servers and data centers for its own game and content-streaming services. That presumably includes PlayStation Now—the Sony game-streaming service launched in 2014 after Sony's 2012 acquisition of streaming company Gaikai—and PlayStation Vue, the company's Internet-based cable TV alternative.

Well, as intense as the rivalry between Microsoft and Sony is, I suppose it does make sense for them to come together against a common competitor where that's possible.

But, is it a match made in heaven, or a marriage doomed to end in divorce?
Match made in Hell.
I have written here a few times on my concerns about streaming games to play, but this could be seen by Amazon and other cloud providers as something that opens Sony and MS up to anti trust suits, after all by using the two major console (and PC) devs (even if its just the OS) they can easily use this to bully and suppress competition of Nintendo, Steam, and even third party developers who want to make a game for Xbox, PS, and (maybe) PC.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking