Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums vs Discord
Split from "ZetaBoards & Tapatalk: One year on"
Honestly, for me, they just serve different purposes. Discord is better if you want real-time chat, voice chat and accessibility; forums are better if (like me) you want 'long-form' conversations that aren't so time-dependant, as well as the extra layer of organisation and the much greater options for customisation that they offer.

Asking "Are forums or Discord better for communicating?" is a bit like asking "Are spoons or forks better for eating with?". Perhaps one suits your needs better than the other, but that doesn't make it 'better' overall.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Ravenfreak
I personally like the customization of a forum over Discord. I also think long term topics are better suited on a forum than on Discord. Discord is better for those who just want to quickly chat about whatever with other people, and don't care to look back at the conversations. I've just never really been into instant chat with other people, I prefer to talk to people on forums.
[Image: UlpiYU4.png?1]
My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ravenfreak 's post:
  • Kyng
One other reason why I prefer Discord over forums is, from personal experience, less drama/trouble happens. In every server I've been on, nothing too negative occurs and that those that do moderation duties respond to anything bad that happens far more quickly than it is on forums (because well, how long will it take for a staff member to respond to a report on a forum?). Also that, again from my own experience, I'm around better people in general.

I may be heavily biased on what I just said but, just had to say it anyhow.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
Never used discord, i used to use the old MSN for chatting, but like Kyng, i like the forums, you can do a lot more ans it is a long term thing
[Image: ueB5.gif]
A Great General Community Board
My Awards
x1
My Items
(05-19-2019, 08:21 AM)BrynStevens Wrote: One other reason why I prefer Discord over forums is, from personal experience, less drama/trouble happens. In every server I've been on, nothing too negative occurs and that those that do moderation duties respond to anything bad that happens far more quickly than it is on forums (because well, how long will it take for a staff member to respond to a report on a forum?). Also that, again from my own experience, I'm around better people in general.

I may be heavily biased on what I just said but, just had to say it anyhow.
Myself, I've also had less drama/trouble on Discord than on forums; however, that's purely because I don't use Discord as much :P . (And, even when I do use it, it's most often in DMs rather than in channels/servers: I mostly just use it as a Skype replacement).

However, when trouble does flare up, my experience is that it's even worse than forum drama. The whole thing tends to move more quickly, so there's much less time for people think about what they're saying, and a much greater chance that they'll say things in the heat of the moment that they'll regret later. And, sure, the mods will respond quicker - if they're monitoring Discord during every waking moment. However, if they're AFK for any significant amount of time, and the trouble/drama happens during that time - then, it's gonna get nasty.

Though, if response times are quicker on Discord than on forums, then I suspect this is because Discord has push notifications, whereas most forums don't (I believe XenForo has them?). I'll admit that this is a significant advantage of Discord, particularly for mobile users, and probably something that more forum services should look at implementing.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Reyzadren