Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rude: Kingfishers, Grebes, and Gulls Are Among the Internet's Least Popular Birds
Rude: Kingfishers, Grebes, and Gulls Are Among the Internet's Least Popular Birds
A new analysis of Google searches suggests some pretty great species aren't getting the attention they deserve. It's time to change that.

The past year abounded with viral internet birds: Mama Merganser adopted around 76 fluffy ducklings; Hot Duckturned New York into the city that always birds; and some polyamorous eagles have us rooting for an unconventional love story, to name a few.

From hit stories to hilarious memes, there's no question birds are all the rage on the internet these days. But how do you use the web to determine if a certain species is popular in the real world? That's what a pair of researchers recently sought to find out. By using Google searches for different birds as a proxy for their popularity in the real world, Cornell University researcher Alison Johnston and independent scientist Justin Schuetz ranked 621 birds according to the frequency people searched for their names. A birder taking a look at the results of the study, published last week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, won't be shocked by the most popular species, but they will also notice that the least-popular bird groups are some of their favorites: kingfishers, grebes, and gulls. 

Aww... :( that makes me sad.
[Image: latest?cb=20190514052512]
[Image: latest?cb=20190421043025][Image: 33?cb=20190413021943][Image: 45?cb=20190415085438]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 5/22) | Fanfics. (updated 5/16) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir
That's sad: I always thought kingfishers looked rather nice!

I guess I'll have to try and correct their unpopularity via my avatar :lol: .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
Who cares what the internet says? They are all awesome!
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • BrynStevens , ObsessedwithBirds
Well, seagulls get the most attention from us Brits anyway. Because, well, they're best known for stealing our chips :lol:
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes BrynStevens 's post:
  • ObsessedwithBirds
Wild turkeys are my favorite anyways.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
seagulls are natures rats with wings, have lots here tbh and they give 0 f's about taking peoples food right from them. I swear finding nemo was the best portrayal of a seagull ever. just a collective hive mind of "mines".
My Awards
x1 (2014)
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes GrieferLord 's post:
  • Jarkko
Huh. Sea-birds I can understand, but kingfishers are absolutely beautiful! I can't imagine anyone hating a kingfisher!! :( 

I do find seagulls rather annoying, though. Not so much for their calls, but for the relentless way that they go about nicking food from people.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x2 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Jarkko
(05-14-2019, 09:48 PM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Who cares what the internet says? They are all awesome!
Yes!!

Great Black-backed (GBB), Silver and Swallow-tailed Gulls are awesome!!
[Image: latest?cb=20190514052512]
[Image: latest?cb=20190421043025][Image: 33?cb=20190413021943][Image: 45?cb=20190415085438]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 5/22) | Fanfics. (updated 5/16) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir
The seagulls we get at the local town are a menace, so I get that they aren't too popular. Surprised about kingfishers, though!!
My Awards
My Items