Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A "What's TCH about" section or announcement
I found this place independently, on Google. You know when you walk into a coffee shop, you wait in line, and then you can finally sit down with an assorted group of fellow contemporaries, and talk about... pretty much anything under the sun. On each day is a bunch of new topics. That is TCH in its essence. 

Other forums are sort of limited in this approach- in that you can really only talk about one theme. They usually have an off-topic section, but that's only a small, tiny segment, and not where the majority of activity happens anyway.

That being said, TCH does the opposite, and it is very malleable that way, so to speak... but the quip Kyng provided ^ up there a few posts ago, would work just as well.
[Image: j6f64BS.png]

My Awards
x1 (2018)
My Items
Tranquility Galaxy Spooks Eremurus Antarctica Yhii Aesop Sorrow Lonely Archimedes Secret Whisper Dream Oddity Fortress Strange Stratosphere Purgatory Halloween Sadness
[-] The following 3 users Like Crooked Crow 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Nilla, Pyrite
(05-09-2019, 06:58 PM)Crooked Crow Wrote: I found this place independently, on Google. You know when you walk into a coffee shop, you wait in line, and then you can finally sit down with an assorted group of fellow contemporaries, and talk about... pretty much anything under the sun. On each day is a bunch of new topics. That is TCH in its essence. 

Other forums are sort of limited in this approach- in that you can really only talk about one theme. They usually have an off-topic section, but that's only a small, tiny segment, and not where the majority of activity happens anyway.

That being said, TCH does the opposite, and it is very malleable that way, so to speak... but the quip Kyng provided ^ up there a few posts ago, would work just as well.

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea: it's a place to meet and discuss what's going on, like a coffee house.

Of course, some spammers didn't get the memo, and they thought this was literally a place about coffee. So, they came here to advertise their coffee grinders and stuff like that.

I don't know where those people are now. I assume they've moved on to Grindr or something.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Ravenfreak
Can we have a joke about not coming here to advertise your latest brand of coffee machine in this section we're building? People need to see we have a sense of humour. :P

On another note, if more people chime in with post's like Crow's, we could make this work. I like the idea of a few members quickly detailing how they came across the community, and what they think TCH is all about. Probably setting the staff to one side, as we already have our fancy bios. :P
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Kyng
(05-09-2019, 06:57 PM)Chipster of Redstone Wrote: I agree with DB, that such a feature could be useful.
I also rather like Matthias' suggestion of "your friendly neighbourhood coffee shop".  Honestly, I kinda like that more than the current "your daily dose of caffeine".
Perhaps there is a third-party add-on that adds the feature, since MyBB doesn't have it by default? (SMF has one, IDK about MyBB though).
Just noticed this post: I'm guessing it got ninja'd by Crow :P .

Yeah, there probably is a third-party plugin that'll do that - and, even if there isn't, it probably wouldn't be hard to add it in via the templates. As for the "Your daily dose of caffeine" tagline, I'd be open to changing that, but it'd mean redoing all of the banners on all of the different themes, so I'd want to be absolutely sure before proceeding with that. ("Your friendly neighbourhood coffee shop" isn't bad in and of itself; however, having 'Coffee House' in the board name and then 'coffee shop' in the tagline does seem repetitive!)

Anyway, if we're going to write a "Community Introduction", then we should probably think about what we're going to include. I'd suggest the following:

• What we're about (a general board with a relaxed atmosphere and a focus on 'topical' stuff, but also plenty of games and activities. Essentially, a mix of 'intelligent', 'civilised', and 'fun');
  • Two or three good examples of topics (maybe the Invented Words thread or Interesting Maps thread, a gaming thread, and one of our more successful contests);
  • A brief history of the board (but we don't want to overwhelm people with history. No more than a paragraph);
  • Summaries of our board guides (for example, a paragraph-long summary of our Official Awards guide);
  • Two or three testimonials from other members, on how they found the place.

So, does that sound good to start?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Pyrite
Sounds like a starting point at the very least. :3
[Image: queenzelda.gif]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
(05-09-2019, 05:40 PM)Nilla Wrote: It'd be neat to have a bunch of members chip in and tell other future members what TCH is all about. Kind of like a "made by members for members" kind of thing. It would be interesting to see how all of the community views TCH, minus the staff?

I take it none of you liked my idea? XD Oh well. What CJ has right now looks good. :P
            [Image: SimbasMate.gif]

[Image: j0KgiGA.gif]
Stamp by ObsessedwithBirds

Kyng Wrote:"When 900 years old you reach, look as sexy as me, you will not"
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2014) x1 (2015) x1 x1
My Items
Col. Marcus Chester Glitter Jimmy Fear Crowley
(05-09-2019, 09:47 PM)Nilla Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:40 PM)Nilla Wrote: It'd be neat to have a bunch of members chip in and tell other future members what TCH is all about. Kind of like a "made by members for members" kind of thing. It would be interesting to see how all of the community views TCH, minus the staff?

I take it none of you liked my idea? XD 

On the contrary - I'm all for statements from non-staff members! :)
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Nilla
@ Dust Bowl 's and his crew statement: "One of us...one of us....one of us...one of us..."

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright

My Awards
x1
My Items
Ducking
[-] The following 2 users Like Lurker101 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Kyng
(05-09-2019, 09:48 PM)Pyrite Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 09:47 PM)Nilla Wrote:

I take it none of you liked my idea? XD 

I'm sort of worried about that one person who might have something negative to say. XD
[Image: yamiyu10.png]

[Image: d7vij96-a63b17ec-74ef-44a5-bdfc-2e70814679ca.gif] [Image: orgxiii_roxas_stamp_by_xselfdestructive-d31xvow.gif] [Image: 9f6ed7ab86783c057973c1b2caa35f9a-d4927wj.png][Image: jam_those_tunes_by_northboundfox-d4dz2bk.png]
My Awards
x1 (2017)
My Items
(05-09-2019, 11:26 PM)Yami Yugi Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 09:48 PM)Pyrite Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 09:47 PM)Nilla Wrote: I take it none of you liked my idea? XD 

I'm sort of worried about that one person who might have something negative to say. XD 

What?
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk