Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A "What's TCH about" section or announcement
Ok, so I gotta be honest... I love this forum, but I have had a fair number of people refusing to join on the grounds of getting intimidated/confused by the fact that they do not know what it is about. What the main goal is. And I can't say I blame them.

When someone asks me what the "theme" of this board is, I tend to tell them that this is the Colonial Forum, where we obey a bunch of Brits or else. I usually get blocked after that. Huh :P

But in all seriousness, I think that simple announcement (or better yet, a section on top a la Meet the Staff) explaining what this forum is about and what the contents are would go a long way towards gathering new members. This is about the nicest forum I have ever been on and it'd be a shame to have possible new voices fall silent because of a little lack of direction.

Now, I do not pretend to tell you how to run this place... you obviously need no help with that. I mean, look around. If more forums had this level of quality, content and activity Social Media would be out of business in a heartbeat, but my personal experience has led me to believe that what I'm presenting here IS, in fact, an issue.

Perphaps this is a stupid suggestion, but I felt that I needed to make it.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Stargazette
Quote:When someone asks me what the "theme" of this board is, I tend to tell them that this is the Colonial Forum, where we obey a bunch of Brits or else.

[Image: 9SFFnI8.gif]

But really is just "general discussion/chat" that foreign of an idea for a forum to people?

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
For some it truly is.

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
It's just a general forum but, stating things as to why it's different to others could convince anyone to join. There's a lot of these "extra perks" that I've not found anywhere else.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
I'd say that it's hard to do something like this about TCH because it isn't specifically about any given topic. Instead the content of our posts is strongly driven by our community, which has changed massively over the years but has still retained a warm and friendly atmosphere.

Truth be told, I'm not sure what I'd write down in an "About TCH" section other than the board origins and history. We're a very laid back community where people are free to share their interests and just chat about anything. There's no real emphasis on anything in particular.
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
In my experience, people tend to congregate in areas/places that they share a common interest with, ie: they have a reason to become a member and participate. If there isn't a central theme they relate to, or a person they are there for, people will likely decide they have better ways to spend their time. Perhaps the easiest way to combat that kind of 'meh' apathy would be a tag line of some sort. Something like: Your friendly neighborhood coffee shop (minus the coffee). It conveys the idea of community without a central focus of coffee. Just my 2 cents.
My Awards
My Items
Conveniently, ZetaBoards had a space allocated on the main page, to write an introduction to the forum so that guests knew what it was about. Annoyingly, I don't believe MyBB has this -_- .

Here's what we had on the old ZB forum:

Quote:Welcome to The Coffee House - your dose of caffeine!

The Coffee House is a friendly and informal community dedicated to having fun. We're a diverse bunch, and so we have plenty to offer, including:
  • Discussions on a wide range of subjects, from science and current events to sport and gaming (and most things in between!);
  • Community-centered forums where members can get to know each other better, and share things they've made;
  • Regularly-scheduled contests, where members can compete for awards and forum currency (Coffee Credits);
  • Shops, where members may spend the Coffee Credits they've earned;
  • A Discord server, where anyone can chat to our members in real time.

What you can see below is a snapshot of what we have to offer. To see the rest, and gain access to all of this, all you need to do is register as a member. Registration is quick, free and easy.

Kind of boring, if I'm honest: it's just a list of features :P . But, I guess that's what you get when the task of writing stuff is left to a mathematician like myself :lol: .

I'm sure we can put this together to make something that's more interesting to read, though. Maybe we can have a bunch of people chipping in with a line or two? It's all very well and good saying that "We're a pretty diverse bunch" and "We do fun stuff", but it's probably better if we actually show it :P .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Beckea
That bit honestly looks pretty great, man.

My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
I agree with you @ Dust Bowl , we need something like that.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
Thank you, for the memories, Alola! Nov. 2016-Nov. 2019
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
Yeah - so, perhaps we could re-purpose the "Meet the Staff" page into a longer "Community Introduction"?

It'd include "Meet the Staff" as one of its sections - but it'd also have this introductory blurb, as well as some links to reference threads (like the Awards guide and the Coffee Credits guide: perhaps the intro would also contain a brief summary of these, but nothing overwhelming :P ).

Might take a while to write it up, though!
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Beckea , Detective Osprey