Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F1 considers second Chinese race
Checkered-flag https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/47951936 China

Formula 1 is seeking to establish a second race in China to grow the sport in one of its most important markets.

Sean Bratches, the sport's commerical boss, said he favoured a street race and was meeting delegates from six potential host cities this week.

"We would be highly interested in a street race," he said.

"It would be a nice juxtaposition to the purpose-built facility we have [in Shanghai]. Our intent is to bring our show to the people."

Beijing is known to be one of the cities under consideration for the race.

Not a fan, honestly. It is true that the Chinese audience grew substantially last year; however, that was mainly because the sport was put back on free-to-air television. I don't see that many people in China starting to watch F1 due to the addition of a second Chinese race: sure, there would be more advertising exposure, but they've had 15 years' worth of that already from the existing race.

And, in any case, the last thing F1 needs is yet another tight street circuit -_- . Though, perhaps one of these emerging Chinese cities has wider streets which could be used for the circuit; I don't know.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
I do feel like they just want that juicy juicy Chinese viewership considering they can rack up millions of viewers from there.
It's just how it is nowadays... Whenever there's a big event that attracts a lot of the Chinese audience, you take that opportunity....
what ya mean that i have to make a creative signature WutFace
Vive la France France
YouTube | Discord: GiraKeng#6289

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes GiraKeng's post:
  • Kyng
(04-19-2019, 03:57 PM)GiraKeng Wrote: I do feel like they just want that juicy juicy Chinese viewership considering they can rack up millions of viewers from there.
It's just how it is nowadays... Whenever there's a big event that attracts a lot of the Chinese audience, you take that opportunity....
Yeah, most likely - although, as I said, I don't see a second Chinese race doing much to increase that. I don't imagine having Donington or Brands Hatch or a London street race in addition to Silverstone would do that much to boost British interest either: the only people who would care are those who are already interested.

If they want to increase Chinese interest in F1, then I think a better option would be to start from the bottom, and invest heavily in grassroots motorsport infrastructure there. That'd probably get way more people interested and involved.

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • GiraKeng
If the goal is try to spread our track list among a bunch of countries, I'm not super wild on it. Granted some other FIA series do this with FE having two US races and F2 having two Spain races in 2017.
Plus the potential of a Miami US race...
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThA1gowquN5v4r388-VQv...5iS5WvSi9s]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2016) x2 x1
My Items
Barry
(04-27-2019, 06:07 PM)Gaomon274 Wrote: If the goal is try to spread our track list among a bunch of countries, I'm not super wild on it. Granted some other FIA series do this with FE having two US races and F2 having two Spain races in 2017.
Plus the potential of a Miami US race...

Agreed: I'd rather see them go back to places like the Netherlands myself. Or, if we want to add more Asian tracks, I'd like to see South Korea being given another go.

The Korean Grand Prix track was actually pretty decent; the problem was that it was built in the middle of nowhere (the nearest city was Mokpo, which isn't even in the top 40 largest South Korean cities). Put it somewhere near Seoul and Incheon (or perhaps Busan or Daegu), and then it might attract crowds.

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items