Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Reference Writing tips
I guess I outta post this here. Because why not?

I am also a beta reader. Note, this is just a hobby and have no degree. I do it for fun. 

Using proper punctuation 
  • Period/full stop: . 
  • Comma: , 
  • Apostrophe:
  • Single quotation mark:
  • Quotation mark: ? 
  • Exclamation mark: ! 
  • Colon:
  • Semicolon: ; 

Many of these you already know, but when do you single quotation marks and semicolons? 

You use a semicolon to help break two clauses in the same sentence. It is often used after the word HOWEVER. .
  • At the last second, however; Type: Full jumped in front, her lithe design being able to fit despite her height.
You use a single quotation mark when someone is quoting someone within a sentence. I use it for emphasis on a certain word, such as the word mate. Sometimes I use it when a character is reading a sign mentally, not aloud.
  • “A husband is what Pokémon would call a ‘mate’ of sorts. We have a word for when a husband has a female ‘mate’. She is called a wife.”
  • A sign next to the pond said No Feeding Us, Please! It Makes Us Sick! in big, bold letters
  • “He asked me if I wanted to be his assistant. Of course, I said ‘yes’, because I was old enough to get paid.”
HOWEVER... some people don't know when to use a comma when a character is talking or making a sound with their mouth; such as said, wondered, pondered, replied, etc. 
  • “We’re sorry,” Naomi said apologetically.
  • “This is why I don’t like people all that much,” I mumbled.
  • “Naomi, slow down,” I warned her.
  •  “Crap,” I spat.
  • “Are you coming back? Please come back, we miss you, Nanu,” Martha begged.
When to NOT use a comma:
  • “You’re a strange creature, huh?” I asked. (NOTE: Ends in a question mark; a comma is unnecessary here.)
  • “Want some iced tea?” she asked. (NOTE: There's no capitalization here. Why? Don't ask, it's just a weird English/grammar rule. If someone could tell me, that would be great!
  • “I told you, you’d like it.” She smiled, putting her head in her hands, looking at me intently. (Note: Smiled is not a sound made by the mouth.) 
  • “No… I understand.” I nodded. (Again, not a sound made by the mouth.)
Always break up people conversing into separate paragraphs. It makes it so much easier to read and doesn't look like a wall of text. 
Quote:“Naomi?” I called out, taking off my sunglasses since the light wasn’t too bright inside; slipping them into the pocket of my shirt.

“Nanu… is that… you?” she asked. She rounded a corner and immediately walked quickly towards me, her dark brown eyes widened

UPDATE: I HAVE FOUND OUT ABOUT THE WORD SIGHED:
Quora Wrote:Only if it’s followed by rising intonation, which is what a comma stands for in written language. It’s that simple. Trying to account for punctuation with a lot of grammatical gobbledegook is a fool’s errand. When in doubt, all you have to do is read a sentence out loud and if your voice goes up in pitch naturally at some point within it, then you need a comma.

SHOW, don't TELL. 

This happens to be a common mistake newbie writers make. 

When you enter a room, what do you see? A desk? What is on the desk? Is it messy, covered in papers, neat and organized? Describe what is on the desk, don't just say it's 'a desk'. What does the room look like? Small? Large? Does it have a unique smell to it? Does it smell like last night's dinner? A person's own scent? Does it have windows, a lamp, or maybe a dresser? Describe what the dresser looks like or what colour the walls are. 

Spoiler

PASSIVE VS ACTIVE VOICE
Admit it: we all do this every day, probably in our everyday conversations! 

In active voice, the subject (noun) of a sentence performs an action (verb). It can be used to impact your writing.(source)
In passive voice, the subject (noun) is acted upon (verb) by an object. It can be used to draw attention to the action rather than the doer.(source)
Passive voice Wrote:“BLUUU!” I heard my name being called again, her voice echoing voice louder.
Active voice Wrote:“BLUUUU!” I heard my name called out again, her voice echoing voice louder.
Noticed I removed the word "being"?

Whether or not you want to use passive or active voice, in my opinion, is up to you, but I recommend trying to use active as much as possible.

That's all I can think of for now... I'll add more stuff when I think of it.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
“If standing up against the climate and ecological breakdown and for humanity is against the rules then the rules must be broken.”
Greta Thunberg
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
[-] The following 3 users Like Detective Osprey's post:
  • Dust Bowl , GiraKeng, Shiny Star
Looks good :) . I didn't know about the whole "sound made by the mouth" thing: I'm sure I'm guilty of using commas for things like 'smiling' when it wasn't necessary!

How about explaining 'who' and 'whom' next? A lot of people get those mixed up.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
(04-13-2019, 11:19 AM)Kyng Wrote: How about explaining 'who' and 'whom' next? A lot of people get those mixed up.

:Blush: uhhh I don't really know the difference, I would have to use Microsoft Word to help me.I'm going to die of embarrassment.
“If standing up against the climate and ecological breakdown and for humanity is against the rules then the rules must be broken.”
Greta Thunberg
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
(04-13-2019, 11:21 AM)ObsessedwithBirds Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 11:19 AM)Kyng Wrote: How about explaining 'who' and 'whom' next? A lot of people get those mixed up.

:Blush: uhhh I don't really know the difference, I would have to use Microsoft Word to help me.I'm going to die of embarrassment.
Well, the difference is that 'who' should be used with the subject of the verb, while 'whom' should be used with the object of a verb.

A trick that really helps with this is: if you can replace the word with 'he' or 'she', and the sentence still makes sense, use 'who'. If you can replace the word with 'him' or 'her', then use 'whom'. For example:

• "Who is taking you to the cinema?" is correct, because you could say "He/she is taking me to the cinema".
  • "You are taking whom to the cinema?" is correct, because you could say "I am taking him/her to the cinema".

Sometimes you'll need to re-arrange the sentence a bit in order to see which word you need, but this trick usually works :) .

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey
Basically, to summarise, who is the doer, and whom is the done to. :P
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x3 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • Detective Osprey
I've updated the OP.
Greta Thunberg
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Beautiful topic :)

I must confess I have always had trouble deciding what the semi colon is even for! This helped me out :)

Have five stars for your trouble (of the rating type... can you imagine having five Shiny Stars? That'd be terrifying! :P).
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
[-] The following 2 users Like Dust Bowl 's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Kyng
(04-20-2019, 01:59 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: Beautiful topic :)

I must confess I have always had trouble deciding what the semi colon is even for! This helped me out :)

Have five stars for your trouble (of the rating type... can you imagine having five Shiny Stars? That'd be terrifying! :P).
Thank you so much for the compliments!
Greta Thunberg
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
(04-20-2019, 01:59 AM)Dust Bowl Wrote: can you imagine having five Shiny Stars? That'd be terrifying!

Not really. I'd give four of them copies of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, so you'd only have one @ Shiny Star to deal with :lol: !

Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Dust Bowl
(04-13-2019, 11:12 AM)ObsessedwithBirds Wrote: Many of these you already know, but when do you single quotation marks and semicolons? 

You use a semicolon to help break two clauses in the same sentence. It is often used after the word HOWEVER. 
  •  The iced tea seemed to have helped with my hangover, however; as it was starting to slowly disappear.
  • At the last second, however; Type: Full jumped in front, her lithe design being able to fit despite her height.

Your first sentence is better typed as "However, the iced tea seemed to have helped with my hangover, as it was starting to slowly disappear." or "The iced tea seemed to have helped with my hangover however, as it was starting to slowly disappear." The comma before "however" is a comma splice, and the semi-colon creates a sentence fragment because "As it was slowly starting to disappear." is not a complete sentence.

Also, semi-colons usually go before a conjunctive adverb or transitional phrase, such as however. For example, it would be the following:

We wanted to go to the beach; however, it was raining.
Kyng added a new theme to TCH; moreover, it was mobile compatible.
Universal Gaming — Let's explore video-games, together!
Want to affiliate with us? Click here!
My Awards
x1 x2
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Moonface's post:
  • Detective Osprey, Shiny Star