Poll: phpBB or MyBB?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
phpBB!
22.22%
2 22.22%
MyBB!
55.56%
5 55.56%
Doesn't matter!
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me decide!
phpBB or MyBB?
I seriously have no idea if this would be the best spot for this but well oh well. XD

I thought I had decided this, but worry wart me still feels torn. Anyway been debating on moving my forum over to MyBB.

phpBB: https://caludin.com
MyBB: https://dook.caludin.com

And some various thoughts I've had on it.

phpBB

Pros
  • Themes look decent (and I know how to do them)
  • Lots of extensions which are easy to install.
  • A lot of features are already installed.
  • Don't run into a ton of problems.
Cons
  • E-Mail Notification system is a bit odd and confusing
MyBB

Pros
  • Theme looks a lot better.
  • E-Mail Notification system works a lot better.
Cons
  • Changing images for themes seems a bit more tricky.
  • Less plugins.
  • Some features that seem to come with other software you have to add.

So those are some stuff I'm thinking about. But I would LOVE some feedback (PLEASE!) Would you guys rather stay on phpBB and keep stuff as is or go to MyBB?
[Image: H4kDJkp.jpg]
My Awards
x1 x1 (2018) x1 (2017) x1 (2016)
My Items
F-Chan
Please go with MyBB.

PhpBB, while once a great and leading platform, has been mangled horrifyingly. Not worth it... I do nt even know how to use it anymore.
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.

Die poster! You don't belong in this board!

What is a signature? A miserable little pile of secrets! Enough talk! Scroll down already!

[Image: Luftsiggy.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Moonlight Sweet Leaf Ducking JR Poison Jab Buzzer Shelly Shadow Fangs Winter Ivy Twin Terror Icecraft Clawy Spookz Triple Threat Beezy Icefolk Heavenfolk Waterfolk Firefolk
I would say if its already running on phpBB just keep it, I have ran in to many issues with the premission masks on myBB that it became very frustrating trying to figure out why some group was able to see what they should not be able to despite not being in any groups that had access to it, and there was one case where it was just one person.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
(04-09-2019, 09:10 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: I would say if its already running on phpBB just keep it, I have ran in to many issues with the premission masks on myBB that it became very frustrating trying to figure out why some group was able to see what they should not be able to despite not being in any groups that had access to it, and there was one case where it was just one person.

This. I think that phpBB offers more customisation and is easier to use as a whole. Plus, it’s what you’re more comfortable with. If there isn’t a way as well to transfer the posts, that would also suck.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png]
[Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x3
My Items
Zach Eruption Headache Lee
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shiny Star's post:
  • queenzelda
I dunno; you decide!
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1 (2016) x1
My Items
I say go with mybb. Yea posts maybe lost but its not like they can't be remade or moved over. *shrug*
[Image: queen-17.png]

[Image: skylanders_trap_master_queenzelda_by_que...cjlsa2.png]
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 (2017, 2018) x4 x1
My Items
Rosey Oceanus Jadzia Julian Buddy Marcus
MyBB, because it doesn't get infested with spambots as much as phpBB.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
(04-10-2019, 03:23 PM)BrynStevens Wrote: MyBB, because it doesn't get infested with spambots as much as phpBB.

It gets infested just it has a built in tool that catches supicious account creations and notifies admins.

I would be surprised if phpBB doesn't have some sort of mod/plugin for that.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
(04-10-2019, 03:25 PM)Lurker101 Wrote: I would be surprised if phpBB doesn't have some sort of mod/plugin for that.
One admin of a forum that used to be on the platform had a "sortables" CAPTCHA which kept them all away, and worked perfectly. From there, every new member was a verified human.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
Most of the issues you have with MyBB seem to be related to the setup and the learning curve. So, what I'd suggest is: try to set up your MyBB board such that it has everything you want on it (not just the basics), and if you're able to do that, then make the switch.

But, stick with phpBB until you've got all of that working.
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion
Personal Data Protection
| BBCode Reference

Lurker101 Wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Mega Blok movie planned but the pieces wouldn't fit together.

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
[-] The following 2 users Like Kyng's post:
  • Gaomon274, Smokey