Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good song covers
So, it's very popular for musicians to cover already existing songs. Sometimes, they put a twist on it and other times it can pretty much resemble the original song. So, which are your favourite covers by any artists?

I really like Miley Cyrus' 'Jolene' in her backyard sessions, Fall Out Boy's 'I wanna dance with somebody' and Twenty One Pilot's 'Can't Help Falling in Love', you?

edit: oh, and the Riverdale Cast's 'Seventeen'.
[Image: 76561198120231752.png]
[Image: file.php?avatar=20987_1404052962.gif]
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
Zach Eruption Headache Lee
Eww, pop. :P

Okay, here are some good covers:

- Disturbed's covers have gotten better every time. I wasn't a huge fan of "Shout 2000," (Tears for Fears) but "Land of Confusion" (originally by Genesis) was brilliant, and "The Sound of Silence" was so good that even Paul Simon said he loved it.

- Speaking of Tears for Fears, Gary Jules and Michael Andrews' cover of "Mad World" is really good.

- Not so much a cover as a musical reimagination, Becoming The Archetype re-did classic hymn "How Great Thou Art" in heavy metal.

- Killswitch Engage's cover of Dio's "Holy Diver," while not as good as the original, still rocks something fierce!

- Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower."

There are others, I'm sure, but those are the ones that come to mind.
[Image: mmT4f1B.gif]
Spammers Beware! I got my bollockin' face on!

Spam Topics EXTERMINATED: 42
Apparently CJ thinks my linguistics reading collection is massive enough to be one of the 25 most massive objects in the Solar System :lol:
(07-30-2018, 07:07 PM)Kyng Wrote: Come to think of it, I'm surprised Jarkko's collection of linguistics reading material wasn't there :thinking: .
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2 (2015, 2017) x1 (2014) x2 x1 x1 x1
My Items
(04-04-2019, 07:58 PM)Jarkko Wrote: - Disturbed's covers "The Sound of Silence" was so good that even Paul Simon said he loved it.
With all due respect, I strongly disagree, I mean technical skill and musical talent sure, but as far as conveying the message of the song, I disagree.

The "the Sound of Silence" is about experiencing something so horrible that you can't produce a response even one of pure emotion, all you can do is sit there and watch in horror unmoved, unable to process what you are seeing. People associate it with the JFK Assassination But a more modern take would be 9/11. It is etched in my memory, seeing the second plane hitting the tower, Seeing the towers fall, the brief screams of horror of those on the ground, the "Oh my God" form the news casters, the silence like a cancer just goring exponentially to everyone witnessing the events in stoic horror as if a Lovecraftian Great Old One emerged from the Harbor and unable to process what they are seeing. Nobody even in my school 100s of miles away form New York said a word unless they needed to (such as taking attendance each class period) Even if the TV wasn't all, it was a cancerous silence that consumed us all, there was no emotion, no sadness, no being scared, expressed but you could feel it people were talking with out speaking, and you could hearing each other with out listening instead focused on the event. Disturb put too much emotion in the song.

Anyways my list:
The Boxer - Mumford and Sons
Primo Victoria - Van Canto
Bed of Nails - Van Canto
Fear of the Dark (or was it Seller of Souls that is a cover?) - Van Canto
Bards Song - Van Canto

"Its all coming back to me now" - Celine Dion (made famous by her but a cover from Pandora's Box)
"It's all Coming Back to Me Now" - Meatloaf (who the song was originally intended for)

"Hurt" - Johnny Cash
"House of the Rising Sun" - The Animals

"Hound Dog" - Elvis

I agree with Gery Jules' cover of "Mad World"

"Twist and Sound" - The Beatles

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

The EU killed the Internet star
In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
(04-04-2019, 07:58 PM)Jarkko Wrote: Eww, pop. :P

Okay, here are some good covers:

- Disturbed's covers have gotten better every time. I wasn't a huge fan of "Shout 2000," (Tears for Fears) but "Land of Confusion" (originally by Genesis) was brilliant, and "The Sound of Silence" was so good that even Paul Simon said he loved it.

- Speaking of Tears for Fears, Gary Jules and Michael Andrews' cover of "Mad World" is really good.

- Not so much a cover as a musical reimagination, Becoming The Archetype re-did classic hymn "How Great Thou Art" in heavy metal.

- Killswitch Engage's cover of Dio's "Holy Diver," while not as good as the original, still rocks something fierce!

- Jimi Hendrix's cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along The Watchtower."

There are others, I'm sure, but those are the ones that come to mind.

Jolene is a country song and Fall Out Boy are considered to be rock so not really pop. ;)

Mad World is suchhhh a bop.

@ Lurker101 ain't it called 'twist and shout'?
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items
(04-04-2019, 10:09 PM)Shiny Star Wrote: @ Lurker101 ain't it called 'twist and shout'?

That is what I get for posting and being distracted.

WARNING: ACCORDING TO @ 321tumbler this poster may cause diabetes

“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)

In my mind and in my phone, we can't rewind we've gone too far
Article 13 came and broke your heart
Put down the blame on copyright
My Awards
x1 x1
My Items
Ducking
KWS's cover of KC and the Sunshine Band's "Please Don't Go" is good, and I feel that's packed with more emotion. There's also George Michael's rendition of Seal's "Killer" in where I think he sang it better. However, that was only for a live performance at the time he did it, along with "Papa Was A Rolling Stone".

Some dance covers of classic songs may be "good" also such as DJ Sammy's take on Bryan Adams' "Heaven" but YMMV.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
Now I know another... In Strict Confidence's take on Depeche Mode's classic "Stripped".

I like this more than the original though, as it has a more impersonal vibe to it (as with all industrial songs anyway).
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
Not sure if this counts or not.
[Image: 320?cb=20190411152959]
“I have my books here. But also I am thinking: what am I missing? What am I going to learn in school? Facts don’t matter anymore. Politicians aren’t listening to the scientists, so why should I learn?”
Greta Thunberg
[Image: 610565122489974948.png?v=1]
Ask. | Art and writing. | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir Swift Iolite Stoney Agilberta Broigheall
I forgot to mention Neck Deep’s Torn in the original post. Absolutely brilliant. If you like pop punk then it’s definitely up your street!
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x1 x2
My Items