Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running games below system requirements
As every PC gamer will know, pretty much every PC game comes with a set of minimum system requirements. If I try to run a game on a machine that doesn't meet these requirements, then it most likely isn't going to run (maybe I'll get lucky and it will, but the point is, I can't expect it to run :P ). On top of this, many games have recommended system requirements, which won't be necessary to run the game on its lowest settings, but may be needed to run it at a playable pace on anything more than that. So, has anyone ever tried to run a game on a machine that was below the minimum system requirements - and, if so, did you succeed? 

Myself, I've tried it several times - usually as a result of forgetting to check the requirements before buying the game :lol: . In almost every case, the game just refused to run: sometimes it would load, but then I'd be unable to get past the main menu (it would typically freeze or crash out - or, at best, objects on the map would fail to render and the game would be unplayable). I think the only game I got running at all without meeting the system requirements was Civilization V: my old laptop's integrated graphics technically didn't meet the requirements, but I found I was still able to run the game on low graphics settings. (Still, it was sluggish, so I was very glad when I finally upgraded my laptop!)

What about you?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Hmm I haven't done so in about 4 or 5 years IIRC, my old college laptop (RIP what a trooper) I am pretty sure didn't meet the min specs of some of the games I tried to run, such as the first Tomb Raider reboot (it ran...just low frames), or the machine games reboot of Wolfenstine which dind't run past the opening cut scene of the first level.

Here are some Youtube channels that might help people who either want to (because some people find it fun) or need to:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05i...LOmhjzDG6g LowSpec Gamer

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsgnjvC...SMMRG_j0cw Budget Builds Official

https://www.youtube.com/user/RandomGaminginHD RandomGamingHD

The last two channels although not necessary about running games below spec they will take older hardware and see how it runs on modern(ish) games as a method of stress testing the hardware, so it can provide at lease some praticle feedback on if a game will run or not and what settings they used.
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.”
Aristotle (maybe)
My Awards
x1
My Items
Grim Fandango on half the required RAM was a blast... would take a full minute to load rooms and would crash my PC on ocassion; so much so that I ended up burning my monitor due to restarting it so much.

Good times XD
~~I had Arizona in my mind when coming up with my account name~~.
My Awards
x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Literally nothing runs on my craptop and deskcraptop.
Pokémon Sword and Shield release date: LATE 2019 (NOVEMBER 22??; 256+ DAYS)
[Image: Hqm4k8d.png?1][Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
Obsessedwithbirds 

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates
Random YT comment Wrote:How to properly clean your metal computer
2 weeks ago
They’re blue because Will Smith’s Genie made them blue.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
Impossible Creatures ran at a snail's pace on my old IBM Aptiva when I first got it, but ran so smoothly on another computer that was around. Apparently it needed more than 128MB of RAM. Also, Petz would refuse to run if the screen resolution was below 800x600.
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1
My Items