Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London to Sydney in four hours?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47585433

The UK project to develop a hypersonic engine that could take a plane from London to Sydney in about four hours is set for a key demonstration.

The Sabre engine is part jet, part rocket, and relies on a novel pre-cooler heat-exchanger technology.

This pre-cooler system will begin a new phase of testing in the next month or so in Colorado, US.

Meanwhile, the core part of the engine has just gone through its preliminary design review.

Signed off by experts at the European Space Agency, the review sets the stage for this central section of Sabre to begin its own demonstration campaign at Wescott Space Cluster in Buckinghamshire next year.

You know, this almost sounds too good to be true. It's entirely possible that they'll be able to build a plane like this - but, will they be able to make it economically viable? If so, how much are they going to charge for a ticket?
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
Holy.

sh*t. 

Wow!
[Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
[Image: latest?cb=20190421043025][Image: 33?cb=20190413021943][Image: 45?cb=20190415085438]
Warui zo zurui zo akuyaku ihhihhi no hī
Obsessedwithbirds 
Ask. | Art. (updated 5/25) | Fanfics. (updated 5/24) | Random crap.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori Blu Bebe Venom Black Hole Fenrir
Even if the journey between these two places would be much quicker, the jetlag would still be the same :P
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x2
My Items
(03-16-2019, 06:24 AM)BrynStevens Wrote: Even if the journey between these two places would be much quicker, the jetlag would still be the same :P

Yeah, that's certainly true. If you were flying from Sydney to London, then you'd move back 10 hours, but only take 4 hours - so, you could take off at 12:00pm on 1st January in Sydney, then arrive at 6:00am on 1st January in London :P .
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Pyrite Wrote:"It's called the Island of Sodor, not Hodor."

(In response to me misreading "Game of Thrones" as "Game of Thomas")
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items