Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pi calculated to 31 trillion digits
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47524760

The value of the number pi has been calculated to a new world record length of 31 trillion digits, far past the previous record of 22 trillion.

Emma Haruka Iwao, a Google employee from Japan, found the new digits with the help of the company's cloud computing service.

Pi is the number you get when you divide a circle's circumference by its diameter.

The first digits, 3.14, are well known but the number is infinitely long.

The calculation required 170TB of data (for comparison, 200,000 music tracks take up 1TB) and took 25 virtual machines 121 days to complete.

Well, I guess that's one way to get a world record - although, I doubt anyone will ever find a use for this. Most of the time, we don't need anything more precise than 3.14159 (heck, just 3.14 is usually good enough). 

Anyway, happy Pi Day :) !
[Image: CJ_userbar.png]

Board Information and Policies
Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

(Thanks to ObsessedwithBirds for the avatar and sig!)
Quote:Nilvafefe: I swear to drink I am not god
My Awards
x1 x1 x2 x2 x5 x3 x1 x3 x6
My Items
The thought of that many numbers makes me want to vomit.
Pokémon Sword and Shield release date: LATE 2019 (NOVEMBER 22??; 256+ DAYS)
[Image: Hqm4k8d.png?1][Image: ObsessedwithBirds.gif]
Obsessedwithbirds 

“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates
Random YT comment Wrote:How to properly clean your metal computer
2 weeks ago
They’re blue because Will Smith’s Genie made them blue.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2018) x1
My Items
Silvady Dodekabashi Fiarow Pigeot Junaiper Odoridori
Whilst it's a great achievement for today's date, and in general, I really wish all these incredibly clever people were putting their time and money into things more useful for the world than discovering the 31 trillionth digit in pi...
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x2 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pyrite's post:
  • BrynStevens
(03-14-2019, 07:57 PM)Pyrite Wrote: Whilst it's a great achievement for today's date, and in general, I really wish all these incredibly clever people were putting their time and money into things more useful for the world than discovering the 31 trillionth digit in pi...

Well, I don't think it requires much brain power: there are formulas and equations which can be used to crank out as many digits of pi as you want, provided you have enough computing power.

Though, getting to 31 trillion digits does require a lot of computing power: here, they had 25 virtual machines working away at it for 121 days. So, it's perfectly fair to ask whether this is best use of those computers, since there are surely plenty of useful real-world problems that they could have been working on :P !

Affiliation | Coffee Credits | Member Ranks | Awards | Name Changes | Account Deletion | Personal Data Protection

My Awards
My Items
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kyng's post:
  • Pyrite
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant by that!!
[Image: CCcP1lA.png]

Quote:
CJ: Also, you can solve walls faster than [Donald Trump] can build them. So there's that.
My Awards
x1 x1 x1 x1 (2012) x1 (2016) x1 (2017) x1 x1 x6 x6 x3 x1 x2 x4
My Items
Cashew Petal Tictac Moxie
In case anyone's interested in this stuff, FiveThirtyEight did an article about how Pi is computed (including some of the formulas that can be used to do it): 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/eve...end-of-pi/

As with the prime numbers, there's been massive progress over the last 70 years or so. And also as with the prime numbers, we still have an infinitely long way to go :P .

My Awards
My Items
(03-14-2019, 07:57 PM)Pyrite Wrote: I really wish all these incredibly clever people were putting their time and money into things more useful for the world than discovering the 31 trillionth digit in pi...
ahahahahaha. I thought the same 8D
My Awards
x1 x1 (2017) x1
My Items